When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why did Schwinn not ship bikes to Canada?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It's interesting that the badge claims the bike was "Made in Canada" - was it a conventional Schwinn otherwise?

Has anyone else actually driven or seen the Canadian “roads” outside of the provincial capital cities?
Sometimes people assume that foreign countries are just like home, except for the language (more-western Canadians might speak American), and the different foods (like gravy on French fries?).

I believe that Albert Spaulding was right when he saw the profit in sales to Canada being in the Snow Skis product line.

YES, I spent 15 years recently living in a rural town in Nova Scotia. The rural areas are neglected for services in relation to the larger cites. It's all about politics, and where the largest voter base resides!

Also, the gravy on French Fries is called poutine, and is very popular staple in Canada.

Now, getting back to the original topic! As I stated in a previous post, Schwinn bikes were sold in Canadian Tire stores in the post 2000 era. These bikes were Taiwan built bikes imported by Dorel. But until then, Schwinn bikes were not imported for sale in Canada!

It would make more sense if it was a CCM. The market tilted in favor of CCM and Raleigh up there. There were ranges of bikes made specifically for Canada by Raleigh and later Raleigh/TI, including special paint schemes for the Canadian market and bikes under the "Eaton's" brand.

Would the "Canada" on that Cycle Truck not be for just the drop stand manufacture rather than the whole bike?

Last edited:
That drop stand sure looks heavier than the original's on my pre-war Trucks. Also it is very close to the front fender on top. This happens when a post-war stand is axle-mounted instead of on the fork bungs found on the later Trucks. Also does not have the slightly curved bottom that allows the stand to sit solidly on un-even ground.
My guess is the steel is from Canada and the stand could be from a Worksman.

Back