When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why did Schwinn not ship bikes to Canada?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So BFG has an agreement with Schwinn USA to private label bikes for them, that is why some Schwinn bikes in the USA have BFG Head badges. They make the same deal with CCM in Canada and CCM puts there head badge on CCM bikes. The BFG head badge that says Made in Canada has no referance to Schwinn on the badge. this is only my speculation.

Here is a pic that I found on a FB page from where my parents were born in Nova Scotia, Canada. The pic is from 1985, and not a Schwinn was to be had during that time!

So what bikes were available? Were any American bikes sold in Canada or was it just CCM and English bikes?

I don't have the answer to that question for the 85 era.

But I did spend 15 years in NS recently, and when I was shopping for a Fatbike around 2014, I did see CCM and Schwinn's at the Canadian Tire stores and at Walmart. The Schwinn's were imported by Dorel as I previously mentioned.

I ended up buying this Norco at a LBS. Norco is a Canadian company based in BC.

"Schwinn: The World" I am inclined to think, you did not and don't see much because of price and favored eastern Canadian French politics. Especially, Schwinn stink-ray, really got the attention of the world. IDK where you're at but, just across the border, in Vancouver Canada, there was probably plenty, either from Washington state or imported into the general Vancouver area. I mean, I doubt that Schwinn would not take advantage of sales potential, just B/C there wasn't a franchise to sell them in. Never heard of Franchises in Mexico, but, plenty down there. I seriously doubt, "the World" company would limit all sales to franchise sales in USA only. Yet moreover, everybody else pawned their bikes across the globe.
Stink Ray? I do not insult anyone's personal preference on bikes or most anything for that matter.
Have some respect for other members and hobbyists and do the same please.
Thank you, Rob

I have an American made 1940s Hiawatha that was sold by Macleods a Canadian chain store advertised as the American model .
The only way a Schwinn got up here was someone brought it from the US.

This is the only one I have been able to lay my hands on in the wild and I only found the frame .
I had to hunt down the rest and forks came from the US .
They are very scarce where I live .
I also had a Stingray and a 20 inch Typhoon that I brought back to life we all had CCM Mustangs when I was a kid .

IMG_2141.jpeg

Stink Ray? I do not insult anyone's personal preference on bikes or most anything for that matter.
Have some respect for other members and hobbyists and do the same please.
Thank you, Rob
No offence Rob yet, back in the 60',s Stink Rat, custom or old frame restored to look new, bikes was a thing. It rubbed off onto factory made in a while too. Moreover, Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth (Rat Fink) didn't coin the title, I think, but kids I knew were influenced by Roth. It's humor. 🙃

chwinn-Stingray-bicycle-Poster-Johnny-Ace-RAT-FINK.jpg

Dang somebody wants a chunk for this: Stinker

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Back