When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why so many December ‘80 frames?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
MR stamp with ‘83 badge on my Frosty Silver King Sting-

View attachment 1247855

The one thing about headbadges, is they are not absolute, since they can be removed and changed out because of the screws! But that is an interesting gap between the serial number and head badge code on the bike in the pic. And another interesting point is that I don't see a King Sting listed in the 83 catalogs, only in 81 & 82.

When I was building custom bikes back in the day, we swapped out lots of headbadges to match the colors of the accessories we put on the bikes. But in saying that, those headbadges did not have date codes on them.

Seems like a lot of 24" frames hung around awhile before being built, not a high turnover!

Seems like a lot of 24" frames hung around awhile before being built, not a high turnover!

I'm curious as to what all your serials and badge #'s are on your off color Cruisers. Since those were purchased as frame fork decals and head badge only, when were they made. Just thinking out loud, possibly during the 14 week strike in 1980?

I'm curious as to what all your serials and badge #'s are on your off color Cruisers. Since those were purchased as frame fork decals and head badge only, when were they made. Just thinking out loud, possibly during the 14 week strike in 1980?

What is an "Off Color Cruiser"?

Any color that wasn't a standard issue. Lime/Emerald, White, Frosty Silver etc..

OH OK, those were special order frames only, and would not have any date code stamped into the head badge because they were never assembled at the factory as a complete bike!

Back