When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yama 10 speed, anyone ever seen one?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Nissan is the name of the car company in Japan, when Nissan started importing cars in the early 60's Nissan was too Japanese so they called them Datsun's so Americans would buy them.

Those are called bar-end shifters or also Barcons(those are suntour but it's like bandaid for bandages). anyhow pretty common.

Ok...I didn't know that about Nissan, guess I should research that company further...and I had never heard of Barcons before, just thought they were cool...waaay back when Carter was President...:)

-----

First year for Datsun vehicles in U.S. was 1958.

I vote we now return to discussing bicycles. ;)

-----

Last edited:
I don't think they ever "made" bicycles. Just like Firestone or Western Auto never made bicycles. They might have but were probably keeping up with the other large Japanese industrial companies. Fuji Heavy Industires(parent of Subaru) actually made bikes, Panasonic didn't but there are some great bikes with that name. Bridgestone(japanese) hired people to design bikes and then had them built.

I think Yama and Nissan combination are moreover generic names used, perhaps, by a corporate importer. I'd be checking for which Japanese company made the lugs and frame which if aluminum it would likely say so. While it appears like a high quality bike, those silver decals or more likely stickers, stickers kind of give it away as a lower priced import. Pretty much has everything ya might want, looks, style, and shifters in the bar ends. But something ya might have found at a large retail like Sears . Seems your parents got the right idea, checked the market, bikes shops and stuff and happened to find yours at a nice, lower price point. And, per your experience, did a good job at it too. Find that japan frame and you get your answers. IDK why b/c I know very little about imports but soon as I saw your photos, and silver , genetic stickers Nishiki bell keeps ringing. Yet, IDK why because, actually, i have no clue to base who did it. Regardless, concentrate in time range made, me dinks you'll find the actual maker, for its frame.

Last edited:
Check out this Nissan............

1595865420606.png

Ah, here ya go, it's the tubing link that road bike guys know of.. Accordingly, Nissan makes the tubes and Kabuki or relative to em, makes or made the bikes. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1101737-kabuki-nissan-cr-mo-tubing.html

When ya put to two together, ya start getting hits, not same bike but, like below and many others too.

Vintage Nissan Kabuki 27" Maroon 10 Speed bicycle. Nissan Hi-Tension Steel Used

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Back