When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show your Davis built bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thank you Ivo for the comparisons on the Excelsior to Chiefs. This is the kind of info we need... and love!

Again, I have no examples of a 1912-1916 Excelsior so I am relying on trade drawings of the period to compare style of the different manufacturer.

Here is a 1914 Dayton ad to compare lines.

10337522705_b01398de5a_o-1.jpg

I am still of the belief that Dayton only features are all Davis offered, not this wide range of building styles that meant changing tooling, jigs, lugs, etc... The Dayton flood in 1913 could have been the start of Sears looking for other makers to fill there orders. The Sears Tiger is one frame I say looks like a Davis built bike. Davis built racer bikes were well know in the teens and used by some top racers of the day. So they would have been know for that more than their Motobike frame designs.

securedownload-1.jpg

I am currently theorizing Sears and Mead both were using multiple frame builders to offer a wide range of style of bikes.

Mead may have ordered racer frames from Horace Huffman just like Sears.

8400672992_e197b3f4ae_b-1.jpg

Davis built Mead???

As Patric has stated, more research is needed to draw conclusive statements on who built what for whom and when.

Last edited:
Picked up at Copake, not much left but I like it. Is this a Davis built frame? Headbadge missing & chain ring looks to be recently changed. Serial # F46122. Any info. as to year & make, etc. would be appreciated.

P1010001.jpg

P1010002.jpg

Thank you Ivo for the comparisons on the Excelsior to Chiefs. This is the kind of info we need... and love!

Again, I have no examples of a 1912-1916 Excelsior so I am relying on trade drawings of the period to compare style of the different manufacturer.

I'm not doubting the possibility of multiple sources for the Sears bikes, although Excelsior building the Chief is wild, and would be a new discovery if true. It is possible that the 1916 and earlier Excelsior bikes did not have the volcano joint, let's take the serial number stamping for bit of evidence, are there other manufacturers that stamped numbers in line with the rotation of the BB bearings? Someone reading this thread must have a confirmed 1915 or 16 Chief, can you please share your serial number stamping????

I am still of the belief that Dayton only features are all Davis offered, not this wide range of building styles that meant changing tooling, jigs, lugs, etc... The Dayton flood in 1913 could have been the start of Sears looking for other makers to fill there orders. The Sears Tiger is one frame I say looks like a Davis built bike. Davis built racer bikes were well know in the teens and used by some top racers of the day. So they would have been know for that more than their Motobike frame designs.

Harley VS other Davis motorbike frames are evidently different in the joint construction. Looking at the Chief frame construction , all smooth joints, yet another style of frame.

I am currently theorizing Sears and Mead both were using multiple frame builders to offer a wide range of style of bikes.

I agree, this is very evident in the ballooner era especially.

As Patric has stated, more research is needed to draw conclusive statements on who built what for whom and when.

Happy Sunday,

Last edited:
mike j ............ you've got yourself a Westfield-Built motorbike with trussed, multi-plate fork crown.

A tell for Westfields is the sleeve-lug helping to retain the aft portion of the undertank bar.
Davis did not use a sleeve-lug in their construction of motorbike frames.

Very interesting environment for your foto-shoot -- a quarry ??

............. patric cafaro

P1010001.jpg

Patric, Thanks for the info. & quick response, This forum is a treasure trove of expertise. Not a quarry, just twenty something years of stone collecting. Now my wife want's to move!

Gary ... Scott Mc has a three-arch Dayton ... maybe he'll post some pics .

Never have seen these images you just posted, Gary !!! WOW !!!

Thank You !!! ............. patric

1912 Dayton Info Continued......

and with the Lester Clutch Coaster Brake!!!!!!!!!

The Bicycling World and Motorcycle Review December 30, 1911

bicycli64231911161912newy_0731_zps3f9e52-1.jpg

Back