When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tricycle identification

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Appliance tech

On Training Wheels
I have this old tricycle at my moms house that I want to restore for my two year old. My mom found it at yard sale and has no info as to what company made it and how old it is.
Any info would be greatly appreciated
Raphael.

IMG_4234.JPG

IMG_4233.JPG

Hi Raphael, and welcome to the CABE! Could you possibly get a rear photo that shows the step plate clearly? When there's no other markings, the design in that plate can many times identify the maker. I'm thinking this might be a Mercury or Midwest tricycle with the rain gutter style front fender, but the step plate design could make identification of it more accurate.

Dave

Sorry, I had to be away from the computer for a few days. I am stumped on this one. The raingutter fender tells me it has to be a Merc or Midwest/MTD. The rear step plate looks more like Midwest than Mercury though I don't feel confident enough to say 100% for sure it is a Midwest. I see that yellow house paint is coming off in places to reveal red paint underneath. Perhaps you could carefully remove it from the head tube area to reveal part or all of the original head badge, if it wasn't removed before painting.

Dave

Will do, Thanks Dave!

I found a picture online that I think is an identical tricycle and it's an mercury. Do you know is it was restored to its original look? Were the handel bars and wheels originally painted white or the were chome? Also where could I get the correct head badge? TYVM!

IMG_4283.JPG

Looks like you found a pretty good match with the Merc! Here's a site that has replacement head badge decals for Mercury tricycles. Not sure which style was used on yours though I'd guess the rectangular one. As I mentioned, it might still be hidden under the yellow paint. I've never dealt with this site before but they seem to have a good selection of trike head badge decals - https://www.gocreativegraphics.com/tricycle-bicycle-decals-and-headbad
Some trike models had painted handlebars and some were plated. Best place to remove the surface paint off the handlebar and check is at a grip end to see what's underneath. The plating under the grips usually fared better than plating that was always exposed and could have pitted and flaked off over the years. If you just have bare steel under the paint at the grips, it's a pretty good assumption the bar was no doubt originally painted white.

IMG_4515.JPG
Hi Dave, restoration is coming along nicely. I got the tricycle disassembled and in the process of sanding down the old paint. There's two plastic washers that stabilize the hand bar one is cracked and the other worn out. Do you know what they're called and where I could get them?

I imagine these parts would be called sleeves or bushings since they allow the bar to turn but keep it from having any "slop" caused by too loose of a fit. You might be able to find something that could replace them in a hardware store. Usually in the fasteners section they have drawers with all kinds of specialty washers, spacers, and other small mechanical parts. It will be nice to see the trike all spiffed up when you finish it.

Dave

Back