When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1956 Simplex Automatic Servi Cycle Build Thread

-

Connor

Finally riding a big boys bike
Picked up a couple of Simplex Automatics about a month ago up in Huntington Beach... The first one was an original 54' that I cleaned up and sold to Oscar (@okozzy). The other one is an old resto 56' that I'm going to redo myself. Neither of the bikes ran when I got them and still don't.

The Build:
The mechanical componets on the 56' were already torn down when I got it. So, I powerwashed and got everything prepared to be vapour blasted. I wasn't able to take the trans apart and the engine needs new bearings, so I'm going to send in the engine and trans to have Wayne Mahaffey rebuild them. The goal for this bike is to get everything fully functional, ride it a little and decide if I want to go any further (full resto)... I'll try to do my best to keep this thread active with lots of photos and info!
-Connor
IMG_0535.JPG

7516790976_IMG_6994.JPG

7583931520_IMG_7003.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1cb.jpeg

ZoDLj81eSW+jsGksUWEGog.jpg

love them simplex bikes, theres a guy I see at a car show that has one exactly like the maroon one its unrestored and he rides it around and its pretty fast too,good luck with your build..p/s I will try and get some pictures of it next time I see it

love them simplex bikes, theres a guy I see at a car show that has one exactly like the maroon one its unrestored and he rides it around and its pretty fast too,good luck with your build..p/s I will try and get some pictures of it next time I see it

Thanks! From what I've heard - they sound like thery're pretty slow...

Stinking cool is what I see - at any speed! In the looks catagory, I would pick this over a Wizzer any day! Are they hard to find, what's an average cost? I too am looking forward to this thread!

Stinking cool is what I see - at any speed! In the looks catagory, I would pick this over a Wizzer any day! Are they hard to find, what's an average cost? I too am looking forward to this thread!

Pretty hard to find especially on the west coast... Usally not that expensive (under $3k) unless they have the original motor.

Great following Oscar's progress. Looking forward to watching yours too. Doesn't look like you're going to need too much in the way of parts. I agree these Simplexes are damn cool looking. Mine is a manual, which I find is pretty awkward to shift. Sure would like to feel what an automatic feels like.

I'm an East Coaster and have quite a few projects now but will be retiring in the next 18 months so I expect to run out sooner than later. These are pretty cool small bikes, I think I'm going to start looking into these.

Back