When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1894/95 Peerless by the Peerless Mfr. Co. Cleveland, Ohio

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

New Mexico Brant

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I bought this bicycle by mistake; when the auction went live I thought I was bidding on a Columbia chainless with Indian pedals. The auction only had a single poor photo for each bike hence the confusion. I wanted the Columbia for the rare pedals (sadly the pedals only have one single Indian block). Anyway a lucky mistake that has turned out fantastic!

The company has a fascinating history becoming the Peerless Motor Car Company. Peerless Motor Company produced some of America's most expensive automobiles in the first quarter of the 20th century. "Packard, Pierce-Arrow and Peerless, better known as the three Ps, were the major players at the high end of the American market. From 1912-1914 all three companies made both a 38hp and a 48hp 6-cylinder engine, but only Pierce-Arrow and Peerless would make a larger car." ref: Bonham's auction catalog citation below

The bicycle has several interesting features including the rear hub, and the seat post clamp. I love the Goodyear tires. I have only shared a few short minutes with this bicycle but I look forward to future time together.

Does anyone own one of these or have any literature? I am guessing 1894 or 95? Thank you for any input.

0630452B-472E-48B4-9DD4-9E3C24C06045.jpeg

5EFB4AA9-D914-45ED-9515-EEFEB18408F2.jpeg

EF460768-A1A3-4994-ACD1-3E34EBFBD61E.jpeg

7981983D-C4ED-4150-9336-A5E3E2977CB6.jpeg

53AAB848-526B-4EAF-9479-CC23D10761E4.jpeg

D3942336-CE8E-4CAF-9703-65A36093ECBE.jpeg

539FCFED-6086-4867-BD24-65311031560D.jpeg

E31EECAA-E870-4BBA-9FAB-3009EEA61519.jpeg

86302693-0681-4862-A5B0-4C5A23E723DB.jpeg

Last edited:
More information about Peerless Motor Company and their automobiles:

1912 Peerless Model 60 Runabout which sold at Bonhams for $440,000

image.jpg

Thanks Jeff, you rock it every time! Is this catalog available? Any mention what saddles were used? The leather covering is gone on this one and needs restored.

pretty nice little find, some interesting parts and innovations on it
that is one complicated way of doing a seat post clamp, way over machined and engineered but that's what is great about this period of bicycles ..... very cool
what do you mean by : "(sadly the pedals only have one single Indian block)! " ?

is the downtube (close to headtube) bent or is that an optical illusion from the picture angle?
the front wheel might of have been replaced since the spokes are not tied the same way as in the rear

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff, you rock it every time! Is this catalog available? Any mention what saddles were used? The leather covering is gone on this one and needs restored.
Brant,

The catalog was on eBay October 2019. No information on saddles from images posted in listing. I will keep looking.

Jeff

pretty nice little find, some interesting parts and innovations on it
that is one complicated way of doing a seat post clamp, way over machined and engineered but that's what is great about this period of bicycles ..... very cool
what do you mean by : "(sadly the pedals only have one single Indian block)! " ?

is the downtube (close to headtube) bent or is that an optical illusion from the picture angle?
the front wheel might of have been replaced since the spokes are not tied the same way as in the rear
Good spot Max, yes there was a front impact; guessing the wheel was replaced then.

My intention was to buy the Columbia chainless to secure the Indian pedals. Sadly the pedals only have one remaining "Indian" scripted pedal block. You can see them on my thread Road Tripping Across America, post #104 : https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/road-tripping-across-america.151035/page-11

Nice score Brant!! Sorry I have nothing on the 1895 Peerless to share. I've always looked for the 1898 Peerless "Blue Bird Racer" for my collection.

But for cars though, I did work on the only surviving all original 1909 Peerless preserving it and then we displayed it at the Pebble Beach Concours de Elegance in the Preservation class.

Here it is on the front cover of the Peerless magazine. ( actually before I started the preservation of it )

IMG_3363.jpg

Last edited:
Back