When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1915 Napoleon project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thank you bricycle. I was confused with seeing Elgin on the tank, my understanding was Elgin started the motorbike models in 1920, but without a tank. Is there a catalog reference to these accessory tanks?

Thank you bricycle. I was confused with seeing Elgin on the tank, my understanding was Elgin started the motorbike models in 1920, but without a tank. Is there a catalog reference to these accessory tanks?

Check some of balloontyre 's threads of catalogue pics.....

Yup, according to the catalogs I've seen, no tanks until mid 20's, no accessory tanks at all till the 30's. Elgin brand (aside from king) first appears in 1920.

We can all pretend that big brother handed the bike down to little brother and in the process it gained a tank to make it "NEW"!

Great progress on the paint recovery. How'dja do it? You goin' to Chestertown in 2015?

Thanks for the kind words! Five years in the Marine corps as an avionicsman you develop a skill for fighting corrosion. 3 1/2 years I was stationed in Hawaii. The salt is killer on electronics. It's funny, when I was in the Corps I hated busting rust but now I pay a lot of money and spend a lot of my free time doing it.

1st I spray Tuff Stuff cleaner on the part and then go over it with fine steel wool
2nd I use Meguiars fine cut cleaner
3rd I use Meguiars #7 show car glaze (this stuff is amazing!)
4th I put wax on the part.

Sometimes I'll spary the part with PB Blaster before using the steel wool. It really breaks up the corrosion.

I've been using Evapo-rust on the non-painted parts. I read about it on the Cabe (the benefits of the Cabe are neverending!!!) This stuff is great and safe. No worries about getting it on your skin. Cost is a bit high but worth it IMO.

Thanks for the feedback on the tank. I think I'll keep it on the bike as it doesn't permanently alter it in anyway and IMO it looks great on this bike.

Unfortunately not going to be able to make it to Chestertown. Life has been really busy lately. We just adopted an eight year old girl. She has already told me she wants a high wheel bike. :) We will see how long that lasts. I'm guessing her teenage years might change that request. I got my old Hutch I raced in the 80s back to riding condition and gave it to her. Next summer I plan to get her on the trails to do some mountain biking.

Cheers,
Phil

Last edited:
You scared me with your Warning. I was expecting complete showroom restoration. I think there is plenty of patina left. The bike is beautiful and nice job bringing her back to life. Semper Fi.

Last edited:
Back