When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 Dayton Huffman Gravel Racing Bike - Part 2

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jgsb1966

Look Ma, No Hands!
Some of you may remember me posting up last year about my 1948 Dayton Huffman gravel racing bike. Well, over the winter, I decided to beef up a couple of things and fix a few parts that had broke from the previous racing season. So here is the next revision (so far). I had a set of 700c Velocity Aileron rims drilled up with 36 holes (in stock modern rims have 32 holes usually) and anodized gold, then laced up DT Swiss spokes to a front Sturmey Archer drum brake hub and a rear Sturmey Archer 5-speed IGH with drum brake. Wrapping them up with Panaracer Gravel King SK tires in a 700x38 size. A little more bling was added in the form of a gold Chopsaw 42T chainring in front and a gold Suntour style seat clamp. I have some Moose Off-Road handle bars on order and a black leather frame bag being made that will sit where a tank would normally be on one of these bikes.

SOOOO, going into 2024, I have some exciting news to add. A promotor for a gravel bike race in the Michigan Gravel Racing Series took notice of my bike/races from last year and reached out to me. He asked if I thought that there might be any interest in having a "Vintage" class added to the race he promotes, The Dirty 30. After a few chats, we came up with a class to add in the 16 mile course for that race: The Unclean 16 Vintage Class. I am so geeked. Response has been pretty good as we have 13 bikes signed up so far and the race is just under a month away. The main requirement to enter is that it has to be 25 years or older, so anything as late as a 90s mountain bike down to a TOC bike could compete. Many I have talked to are doing it for fun, which was the whole idea I had in the first place.

If anyone in the Michigan area would like to sign up and join us, it's on Saturday April 13th, 2024 in Saranac, MI (just east of Grand Rapids). Here is a link to the official race page and to the registration page:

dh.jpg

Follow up question, how much of the bike has to be vintage to qualify
Since it is all new and never been ran before, the rules were pretty slack. I would think that the frame for sure, plus the bike should still have a vintage look and feel to it. As you can see, my original parts are down to the frame, fork, truss rods and stem. Many parts are either new or taken off of '80s vintage mountain bikes.

Last edited:
Back