When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960 Schwinn Continental...with Suicide Shifter

-
@juvela I'll need to check my Schwinn parts bins for the correct pedals. I THINK I might have stashed a pair in there some years back. 😛 I might even have the correct brake levers!

The bike had been on Facebook for a while at a much higher price than I just paid, then removed. Went to visit my daughter and her family yesterday, and the bike was only 20 minutes from where she lives. So.....😎

-----

😉

wood thimk foyste odor o' bidnuss wood bea to wremove thet thar lightin' caboodle az eet r a gude dekaide mo' latuh then be tiu-wheelah

-----

What a cool score! And in excellent shape! When you pull the crank please check the date, I'm curious if that was built in 1961 with that mid-November 60 stamped serial.

@juvela I'll need to check my Schwinn parts bins for the correct pedals. I THINK I might have stashed a pair in there some years back. 😛 I might even have the correct brake levers!

The bike had been on Facebook for a while at a much higher price than I just paid, then removed. Went to visit my daughter and her family yesterday, and the bike was only 20 minutes from where she lives. So.....😎

I couldn't see the front of the brake levers, but I'm thinking they are original and the extensions were just added. They are the early issue and should have the Patent pend on them. Here's an example on Cody's Conti.

1657479982976.png

Here's his listing.

I couldn't see the front of the brake levers, but I'm thinking they are original and the extensions were just added. They are the early issue and should have the Patent pend on them. Here's an example on Cody's Conti.

View attachment 1659907

Here's his listing.

You're correct! I just checked, and all they did (Bike Shop) was add the levers. Good, one thing less to replace, lol. 😛

But check his fork...top of mine is different, as @juvela pointed out. His shift lever is different also...Huret? Mine is Simplex.

-----

😉

wood thimk foyste odor o' bidnuss wood bea to wremove thet thar lightin' caboodle az eet r a gude dekaide mo' latuh then be tiu-wheelah

-----

It looks like a Lighthouse now. 😂

Hopefully the neck isn't scratched up from it.

You're correct! I just checked, and all they did (Bike Shop) was add the levers. Good, one thing less to replace, lol. 😛

But check his fork...top of mine is different, as @juvela pointed out. His shift lever is different also...Huret? Mine is Simplex.

Your lucky the original brake levers shouldn't be damaged if you take those extensions off. Someone put those things on 64 Varsity that I picked up and it mess up the red button quick release tabs that retract. You'll have to find some regular red dots since those extensions take ones with a screw hole in one end. Looking at the shifter levers, it appears that Cody's is the Simplex and yours is the Huret. I've seen one real similar on Corvette 5 speed not too long ago.
I have yet to see the same fork details that's on my late 61 Conti. The crown masked off and was left chrome.

Your lucky the original brake levers shouldn't be damaged if you take those extensions off. Someone put those things on 64 Varsity that I picked up and it mess up the red button quick release tabs that retract. You'll have to find some regular red dots since those extensions take ones with a screw hole in one end. Looking at the shifter levers, it appears that Cody's is the Simplex and yours is the Huret. I've seen one real similar on Corvette 5 speed not too long ago.
I have yet to see the same fork details that's on my late 61 Conti. The crown masked off and was left chrome.

Nope. Mine is the Simplex. Says so right on it. 🙂 Rear derailleur also.

IMG_1217.jpeg

I was referring to the rear derailleur shift lever on the down tube. I don't believe Huret made those suicide shifters, both are Simplex. Looks like the outer pressure plates on the two bikes are slightly different though, with the actual levers on Cody's being Simplex. The downtube shift lever on yours is different and the pressure plates are the fancy painted ones.

Back