When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A question for the paint prep experts...

-
So Rustoleum's lawn furniture Enamel.
There is a recoat window on most all spray can Enamels, and adhesion after the Enamel cures varies with product and the finish you are spraying over. So a satin black will need to be sanded or chemically prepped before a new coat of any paint can be applied to cut down the sheen/gloss so the final paint coat will adhere. If that's the route you're taking, I suggest using a flat black for your base color coat for better overall clear enamel adhesion.

Yep - that's what it said on the can. I just had a bit of a worry..."advice" I found on the internet (not on this site) told me lots of things that didn't necessarily line up with those directions. Hearing it from the mfr. just kind of eased my feeble mind.

A belated thanks to all who've responded to this post. I've heeded the collective advice...priming, sanding, filling, repeat...and I'm amazed how well the surface is shaping up. I've never prepped this much before - and the results are impressing me.
That's exactly what it takes..... I use a lot of Scotch pads for scuffing the primer before paint, and paint before clear.
Different color pads are different coarseness... red, green, gray, white.....
But, I don't have any orange peel when I paint, ever......

Back