When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any 20" duck tail balloon fenders early 1960s or earlier in chrome?

-

Oldbikeguy1960

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I need a fender or a pair of fenders, front or rear doesn't matter for a balloon tire bike in chrome (preferably), duck tail/flared style no later than early 1960s pre Stingray era.
It doesn't need to be perfect as long as it will clean up decent and is usable. I can do some straightening/dent removal. Trying to keep from painting the frame color would be hard to match fenders to with patina. I could repaint the frame but I do not really want to.
It is for a early 1960s Pig Bike Project, I do not want to use an actual Stingray fender, which I have a couple for projects laying around.
Does anyone know of any 1960s and earlier 20" bikes that used fenders like this? Or even better, know where I can find them or have any for sale?
Thanks, Rob

I'd have to say that any 20" Actual balloon fenders would be hard to come by. The only chrome balloon ones I can think of were on the 80's 20" balloon cruiser. Maybe there was a 20" Phantom, but those fenders would be like hens teeth.
What is the width of the frame you want to put them on? Early 60s was likely middleweight width rather than balloon. There were some McCauley made Polo Bike fenders on eBay that looked pretty good. I'll post them up if I can find them again.

I'd have to say that any 20" Actual balloon fenders would be hard to come by. The only chrome balloon ones I can think of were on the 80's 20" balloon cruiser. Maybe there was a 20" Phantom, but those fenders would be like hens teeth.
What is the width of the frame you want to put them on? Early 60s was likely middleweight width rather than balloon. There were some McCauley made Polo Bike fenders on eBay that looked pretty good. I'll post them up if I can find them again.
I am wanting something to use on the Pig Bike project. Mine is going to be a little different than most people's idea of a Pig Bike, but you will see a lot of the Innovations made during Stingray production, but in a handmade form like a dad in California with a little experience with fabrication would've done with whatever he found laying around or could make.
It will be a little different, that I can promise. You will be able to see the Pig Bike as well as the transitions the Stingray went thru as if dad made more mods to it as his son got older and wanted it to be more like his friends bikes.
I may have seen the McCauley fenders, I will try to find them as well.
I thought maybe Wald or someone came out with aftermarket fenders in the late 1950s/early 1960s that would be along those lines. I had some Wald fenders without the ducktail but not sure I still do. I do not want to use a Stingray fender because that defeats the purpose of it being pre-Stingray.

Back