When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Sting-Ray collectors here from the 'first wave' of boomer restorations 1990s?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Yep Got started doing my 68 Rams Horn that I got on birthday 68. I didn't know anything about date codes or anything else. Back then you just had to find someone who had some stuff and he might know someone who had something and on it went. No internet, no cell phones, just networking. My go to guy was Andy Getz in Akron/Canton. Pete was also a big player. Then like others subscribed to StingRay City News and that opened up some other avenues.

011 (Medium).JPG

001.JPG

It was pretty exciting to receive the SRCN in the U.S. Mail. Send photos and correspond all via the U.S. mail and over the telephone. Pete A. and Jim R. were certainly pioneers. There is a guy out here on the East Coast named Tim H. who started collecting SRs in the late 70's. He amassed some collection by the 1990s!

IMG_3546.JPG

IMG_3547.JPG

IMG_3548.JPG

IMG_3549.JPG

Kool to see other guys who rode that first wave with Sting Ray City News! They did a run of T-shirts too. I was so happy with my shirt, wore it all the time. I was well into painting over a dozen frames, and one weekend I was really excited as it would be my first Campus Green. Now Pete didn't have this color yet. But my friend Jay, who just happens to be co-owner of the oldest Schwinn dealer here (since 1911) had a bunch of Schwinn spray paints...in Campus Green! He had his Fastback he wanted repainted. But they were all dead cans, no pressure. I told him no prob, I'm sure the lacquer is fine. Flip the rattle can over, pop a hole on the bottom with an old beer can opener, and pour it into my spray gun...it's reduced and ready to spray. I go to pop open the 2nd can, and it had a little pressure left in it...POP! Green paint everywhere...and on my favorite SRCN T-shirt! I was so bummed! The paint was perfect...but yeah, ruined my shirt. I only painted with old coveralls after that.

It was pretty exciting to receive the SRCN in the U.S. Mail. Send photos and correspond all via the U.S. mail and over the telephone. Pete A. and Jim R. were certainly pioneers. There is a guy out here on the East Coast named Tim H. who started collecting SRs in the late 70's. He amassed some collection by the 1990s!

View attachment 1205721

View attachment 1205722

View attachment 1205723

View attachment 1205724
I don't ever recall seeing a lowrider on SRCN! Very kool! Kinda my style with the low bars...dig it! I know I have a box of them somewhere.

Yep Got started doing my 68 Rams Horn that I got on birthday 68. I didn't know anything about date codes or anything else. Back then you just had to find someone who had some stuff and he might know someone who had something and on it went. No internet, no cell phones, just networking. My go to guy was Andy Getz in Akron/Canton. Pete was also a big player. Then like others subscribed to StingRay City News and that opened up some other avenues.

View attachment 1205262

View attachment 1205266
I remember Andy, and Pete of course. Another name popped into my head...Scott Brown. There's more, I just gotta find my stash of SRCN and all the letters and photos i kept. Thanks for sharing.

I was none when the sting ray came out. My dad owned a used car lot. We washed cars and delivered papers and mowed lawns in the neighborhood. My dad haf bought me a schwinn spitfire when i was eight. Well that was a cool bike i couldnt ride it. I was really small for my age and couldnt touch the ground on the 26” bike. I had a hardvtire sidewalk bike i learned to ride on and would ride it with my friends that were 2/3 years older. Kids laughed at me i had to fight, we had a boxing ring in the backyard set up. Well there waa a dice and card room downtown, the lawyers and judges contractors and car salesmen hung out there. The barber was next door so i knew everyones wifes cars and the streets were all one way on purpose so that to drive by to get your okd man out if Gambling Janes joint you had to go around town and over the only bridge on river to get there. They would pay us to point and race two blocks when their old lady had to stop at light before the bridge to tell them to dive in the back so they didnt get caught. That was 50 cents to two dollars depending on if they were winning or not. So i went to Blackstocks and bought a Columbia Playboy because we spent money on surplus army gear and baseball equipment. I later bought a 64 super deluxe which I still have. I rode it in the 12 mile saturday bike races against raleighs and varsity bike riders. I got my first multi speed varsity around 1966 a used 1960’s eight speed. I gave my spitfire to my cousin.

I started collecting balloon bikes in the early 90’s i could never find a eight speed varsity until four years ago i got a beautiful restored one from Scott. Now i have had 2- 37 RMS’s 8 bluebirds 7 dayton streamlines and over 15 airflows ...... i have a beautiful bike display trailer again after closing my bike museum and selling most everything ..... I have a beautiful 67 gold fairlady a 66/67 Rams Horn a orange krate kickback 71 orange disc manta but in my top ten bikes in my trailer with 66 21 window bus are my 37 rms 36 comander 36 indian 38 airflows 54 phantom (that came out schwinn family garage) are my 8 soeed varsity and fully dressed 64-1/2 super deluxe
6CF91D86-5B93-42E4-8DAD-ED5FCCE3B2EF.jpeg

an
87D6F8CD-1C58-4804-834C-E5D4E8C177E4.jpeg

d
61A8F707-120F-407D-8396-E92F656EE9B9.jpeg

or
2F62608A-7579-4A3C-A2BE-8C82DA2007CA.jpeg

an
F9740108-2C09-4D1D-952C-53781203D8E7.jpeg

Back