When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BB bearing cup removal

-

Ryan B

Look Ma, No Hands!
I've rebuilt quite a few bikes but never had to remove a BB bearing cup before. Are there any tricks to getting the cups out? I tried searching on here and couldn't find anything I assume just knock them out from the inside but I don't want to damage them either. Thanks in advance.

Knock them out from the inside with a piece of wood, like a 2" x2" so you don't dent them. Hammer the wood with regular hammer.

Usually you can just tap them out with the bike still in the stand, but I had a Murray built Elgin bike that I literally gave up on. I'm sure if I had gotten creative I could of gotten them out but I didn't need them that bad.

I use a wooden dowel and a hammer. Just smack em out from the inside. Usually you have to hit them a coupla times on opposite sides if they're stuck in there.

To install them, turn the frame on it's side, press the cups in by hand so they stick, then with a flat surface on the bottom and a block of wood on the top, hammer on the block of wood in a circle till they're seated.

Or, buy a bb press tool.

Is a 73 Schwinn suburban bearing cup pressed in?

Yes it is. I use a 1/2" dia. steel rod to tap them out. Tap it like a lug nut torque, left, right, top and then bottom. Repeat until it pops out. Light taps with a metal rod will shock it more than using a piece of wood. I know a few who used a long 1/2" ratchet extension.

I beat it pretty hard with a piece of wood and a hammer with no success at all
I have seen some difficult ones, but they always give. They may be rusted so maybe try soaking some carb or brake cleaner for a while then back
to tap tap a tap. at some point they will give.

Back