When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold Ca. 1900 'J.G. Moomy Chainless Bicycle' Document Collection - Blue Print / Letter / Handbill

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shipping
Included
Zipcode

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
I was fortunate enough to be asked to research and offer for sale an incredible piece of bicycle engineering history.
I have opted to make the group available here to the CABE via DOND to see if I can make a deal on behalf of the owner.
Full disclosure: As you may suspect, if I could have purchased this set, I would have.
The arrangement I agreed to with my good friend and owner of these documents for the past 30+ years demands I sell them on his behalf and I'm okay with that to retain the friendship.

This group of documents was originally sent by Moomy Cycle Works on February 27, 1900 to a Philadelphia based parts mfg with the intention of commissioning the necessary components to construct this theorized chainless bicycle. It appears the venture never got further than this with perhaps a prototype built but no commercial production ever seems to have been contracted. This is likely for the best though as in 1900 the chainless bicycle market was quite saturated and the American Bicycle Co run by Col. Pope made it their business to bankrupt and buy up as many competitors as possible. Mr. Moomy did go on to create the highly successful Keystone Rubber Co. where he worked with his son CS Moomy until the latter formed the Carlisle Rubber Co in 1917 which went on to be one of the most iconic tire manufacturers in the bicycle world of the 20th century.

The blueprint document is "actual size" of the drivetrain so it is quite large and displays very well. The image itself independent of the frame is 25" x 8" , framed: 28" x 11"
The letter consists of two pages and measures 5 3/4" x 9" and appears to have been folded into a small envelope originally.
The handbill is in the worst shape of all the documents but could certainly be conserved. It is a fold-out measuring roughtly 6 3/4" x 8 1/2" folded in half so roughly twice as wide when opened.

As a couple other footnotes of the Moomy legacy I will attach a couple more patent images in digital form for which Moomy Sr. was responsible as well as an image of the Carlisle Rubber Co factory which CS Moomy went on to found.

Insured shipping will be included in an accepted deal, please take that into account when considering bidding.
This is a guaranteed original set of documents; I can provide a great deal of the chain of custody for this 'fresh to the collectors-market' object if the future buyer so desires.
I have discussed this group with a couple folks that I know are interested, this seemed to be the most reasonable way to determine the "value" of this group, the owner is quite nostalgic as am I because it is infectious in the presence of such an interesting object, let's see who else is as enamored as I am?

Moomy Blueprint1.jpg

Moomy blueprint2.jpg

Moomy blueprint3.jpg

Moomy catalog cut2.jpg

Moomy Catalog Cut1.jpg

Moomy Letters.jpg

Wrench Patnent JG Moomy 1883.jpg

JG Moomy Tire Repair Tool Patent 1894.png

JG Moomy Chainless Drivetrain Patent 1901.png

JG Moomy Chainless Drivetrain patent 1901 part 2.png

CS Moomy Carlisle Tire and Rubber Factory in Carlisle PA.jpg

Status