When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I get opinions on this Phantom please?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cruiserfan

On Training Wheels
For the seasoned Phantom owners/enthusiasts out there, can you please take a look at this one? Does it look correct and original? And if so, what would be a fair offer? I've been looking for an original Phantom for a while. Thanks!

1956 Schwinn Red Phantom - http://www.ebay.com/itm/180908286481

I was looking at that one myself but I don't particularly like Red. I'm fairly new at all of this myself and have learned a lot from these guys here. Don't take it to the bank because I'm far from knowing everything about Phantoms yet but the rear rack looks like it belongs on an earlier model. I think all of the Phantoms I've see of later year models have a 4 hole rear rack with a tail light. The seat doesn't look like it's correct. If the rims are correct, they should be chrome S-2's. Some of these guys will correct me if I mis-spoke and we both will learn something.

The serial that starts with V7 is correct for a Phantom built April 1956.

I ask to see a few pictures a few days ago of some genuine original phantoms here on the CABE and these are pictures that you can use for reference.

Last edited:
Please keep in mind that it is a newer Phantom. The rack is correct and the rims look really nice. The seat is not correct but the correct one is not the leather one you may be thinking off. I like the bike. The chrome on the tank and fenders looks to be in above average condition. If you like the bike, go for it. I would stay below a G.

Phantom

I'd say hold off for an earlier bike. This one is too late in the running and by the mid 50s the Cycle-lock, Drum brake, Leather seat were all but memories. Red is a good color and maybe the best RESALE color for these bikes, and personally I like the metallic or Candy Red. I've seen 1954 Red Phantoms (first year candy red) with all the early options. Those are killer bikes, one year only and last of the deluxe line. The bike you mentioned here is a decent rider, nice original. But I think for a little more $ you could snag an earlier more deluxe bike and have a better investment and cooler ride

Please keep in mind that it is a newer Phantom. The rack is correct and the rims look really nice. The seat is not correct but the correct one is not the leather one you may be thinking off. I like the bike. The chrome on the tank and fenders looks to be in above average condition. If you like the bike, go for it. I would stay below a G.

So this Red '56 is a Phantom B19 that came with a 6 hole rack and no tail light. The Phantom with a tail light and 4 hole rack is a B17.

See, I told you I would learn some new today.

Last edited:
So this Red '56 is a Phantom 2 that came with a 6 hole rack and no tail light. See I told you I would learn some new today.

Dane,
Hopefully you've received your HW book from Geoff. Take a look at his notes on the Phantom. The '56 could be had with tailight and cyclelock as well (the Ebay bike has neither). As I said before the Phantom actually "devolved" (Geoffs word) over time and, generally speaking, starting with the introduction of the opalescent (metallic) colors (red and green) in 1954 less became standard and you had to pay for the extras. Regarding the bike currently on Ebay; as the seller states the seat is incorrect. I agree with Bob on taking a pass on this one. A correct seat can be found but will run at least $200 then figure shipping and you're into this one for over 1k easy provided it sells at the current price. I agree wait and find one with more bells and whistles and COMPLETE. V/r Shawn

Dane,
Hopefully you've received your HW book from Geoff. Take a look at his notes on the Phantom. The '56 could be had with tail light and cyclelock as well (the Ebay bike has neither). As I said before the Phantom actually "devolved" (Geoffs word) over time and, generally speaking, starting with the introduction of the opalescent (metallic) colors (red and green) in 1954 less became standard and you had to pay for the extras. Regarding the bike currently on Ebay; as the seller states the seat is incorrect. I agree with Bob on taking a pass on this one. A correct seat can be found but will run at least $200 then figure shipping and you're into this one for over 1k easy provided it sells at the current price. I agree wait and find one with more bells and whistles and COMPLETE. V/r Shawn

I did get my book today. You quoted my post while I was doing an edit on it. Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses, appreciate the insight and advice. I'm going to keep looking for an earlier model. Agree with Shawn's comment about Phantoms "devolving" over time. I've always found the earlier models more interesting. Aaron.

There is a nice Green Phantom for sale on the CABE right now.

These were both in the neighborhood of $1,100.00.....
IMG_1175-1.jpg

Thats a Nice Looking 1956 on Ebay...The Red Paint is Pretty Decent too...Another thing to consider is the Tires...New Whitewall Brick tread tires would make it Stand out More...No matter What Anyone Else says-Buy What You Like...:cool:

Back