When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CECIL WALKER 1939 - "S T A Y E R"

-
That's a real beauty! - plz flip fork.

Plz flip fork..!!!!

Could you imagine this kid rolling up on you while you're riding your Elgin Bluebird or Bowden Spacelander and him saying - "Pls put some apes on that thing..!!!" ( but what does he know! )

23621715_1509079172461672_4342303450759095006_n.jpg

The reversed fork allows the rider to draft closer to the pacing machine, in effect, reducing the drag coefficient/increasing aerodynamic efficiency by placing the rider in less turbulent air.
On @corbettclassics fabulous example above you will also note the seat nose support which allows the rider to get as far forward as possible and as much of his body within that 'cleaner' air, without breaking the saddle.
You'd think that a more 'lo-pro' (ie. a sloping top tube) approach would be sensible; this is true, but inappropriate in paced racing as you are already wind cheating behind the pacer.
The more upright stance stems from the necessity to ensure the riders breathing efficiency over long distance events. Therefore reversing the forks and using a smaller (typically 24 inch) front wheel and a fairly tall headtube allows the rider to adopt a relatively comfortable stance and enjoy the benefits of slipstreaming.
Just search for images of stayers online, they almost all follow this format for these reasons.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_4343912318_d1ce3ddacc.jpg

yes, it was a one-hour-distance record bike (51.151 km), which UCI let stand for 14 years before their grief over Merckx record loss caused them to write new rules (the Lugano Charter) and disqualify Moser's record.

Though this is what they're riding now - you tell me...
1280px-Jens_Voigt_-_Hour_Record_-_bike.jpg

and this bike took the record just 2 years after Moser was disqualified
Lotus_108_%2824281585325%29.jpg

Last edited:
I think I have a large poster of it rolled up somewhere. I know I have some old French and U.K. magazines with articles on it. What a cool piece of machinery! He had a couple of these bikes that were similar.

Not the one where his arms are stretched out. The one where his arms are tucked in to his chest. I have pics and his book etc but not home to attach photos right now.

Back