When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chain Tensioners Maxed Out

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Buster1

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Guys and Gals,

My chain tensioners on my "new" Elgin are nearly maxed out. As far "in" as they will go. I have a few more turns until they will hit the stops. My skiptooth chain is pretty old...1939 probably. Do I need to pull a link somehow, and if so, how do I do that? Am I in any danger of having the axle too far back in the dropout?

IMG_4468-1.jpg

IMG_4480-1.jpg

First, I'd check for a little thing called chain stretch. If your bike had a lot of miles put on it back in the day, then the pin holes can become slightly oblong. Spread a little bit across 56 links, it can add up. If it's enough, you will be able to feel it when you pedal; it's quite uncomfortable to ride as the teeth don't line up correctly with the links. You can also remove the chain and hold it up to a tape measure with a pin on an inch mark. Every inch should line up on a pin for the length of the chain (or within 1/8" or so).

I've had bad luck recently with some really stretched chains.. they're littering my chain drawer now.

If that checks out, then remove a link. Most chain tools should work but skiptooth chains are slightly wider.

Try a new chain first. A bitchen bike like that deserves a new (eBay) chain
and you might find even a new one will need a link taken out. Not a hard
process, if you get a proper chain breaker, it's really easy fix.

Good luck, chin, chin.

Pull a couple of links or buy a new chain with the correct amount (after counting what's on there now and subtracting 2) or buy a larger sprocket if you understand the hub dynamics.
It's more than a single link when dealing with a skiptooth.
Chris

maybe you could get loner tensioners? I have a problem with my one elgin where the axle cant go back any further because the coaster brake arm is hitting the bolts for the drop stand but I have lots of thread left in my tensioner screws

I think longer tensioners would put the axle too far back in the dropouts and be dangerous. I think they are made this length for a reason.

As for hitting the drop-stand nut, I have/had the same problem with this bike. I put a couple washers on each axle inside the dropout. That sets the frame slightly wider back there and allows for the drop-stand nuts to clear the moving parts. This frame wants to be wider naturally anyway.

Jason, I haven't counted my links yet, but I did check for stretch...and it looks perfect. Every pin at the 1" mark. It's about as accurate as to can get too, very exactly on each inch mark. I was amazed. So that can't be it I guess.

Back