Dimensions of Rollfast/Hawthorne springer fork rocker plates and bushings?

Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

jimmiroquai

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jun 20, 2013
Malate, Philippines
Hi all. Recently acquired a Rollfast springer fork with the help of this great forum. Unfortunately, it's missing the rocker plates and bushings. I have some experience with machine shops and plan to have these parts fabricated. Would any one mind sharing dimensions of the rocker plates and bushings if you currently have a fork disassembled?

Rocker plates: Thickness? Length? Width? distance between edges of holes?
Smaller bushing (T-bushing that slides unto axle): Length/thickness of the cross? the shaft?
Larger bushing (slides unto the front part of the fork): Length/thickness of the cross? the shaft?

Any help welcome!

Thanks!

Rustafari

Finally riding a big boys bike
Mar 4, 2013
SoCal
Sorry for the delay. I had to take these parts off my bike to measure them and couldn't get to it earlier in the week.

Hopefully this is the springer you have. :D
1941Hawthorne035_zps76f88da5-1.jpg

And these are the parts you need?
ForkParts03_zps1fcd9a0a-1.jpg

I calculated the 2.052 dimension by adding half the diameter of each hole to 1.687 reference. But I included the reference dimensions since that is what you asked for.
ForkParts05a_zps5aa891f7-1.jpg

ForkParts08a_zps797ae45c-1.jpg

The shoulder length is .187 but the rocker plate is .125 and the brass washer is .062, which means that when you bolt everything up tight it is line to line. I noticed that I had some binding in mine, so I added some 1/32" thick shims that basically extend the length of the shoulder by about .030. That is probably a little too much but that was all I had. If I was going to make the shoulder bolt myself, I would probably make the shoulder .200 long instead of .187 just to make sure there would be a little bit of clearance when everything is tightened up.
ForkParts10a_zpsf5c10b27-1.jpg

I added the little shim to the left to create a little more clearance.
ForkParts09a_zps85943aaf-1.jpg

ForkParts06a_zps86f56a68-1.jpg

Hope this helps,
Rusty.

jimmiroquai

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jun 20, 2013
Malate, Philippines
Thank you!

Thank you very very very very very much! Thanks for going through all the trouble. Much appreciated. I'm sure this will be a big help to others with the same missing parts as well. :)

Gsbecker

Mar 27, 2014
Elk Grove Village, United States
looking for the same parts myself, question-how does it all go together?

barracuda

I live for the CABE
Oct 27, 2009
Niles, California
I'd like to say thanks to Rustafari for his careful measurements of these pieces. I took one of his images to my local machine shop and they fabbed a set of T-bushings for my Hawthorne project. Worked perfectly.

image.jpg

Reactions: rustjunkie and mrg

barracuda

I live for the CABE
Oct 27, 2009
Niles, California
looking for the same parts myself, question-how does it all go together?
My fork was a Hoppy-style Snyder springer. It has some minor differences with the Hawthorne shown above, but the general principle is the same, with the main difference being an open rather than closed dropout on the fork itself. I took a moment to draw the assembly out - if anyone sees a mistake, lemme know so I can fix it.

rollfast dropout assembly final copy.jpg

barracuda

I live for the CABE
Oct 27, 2009
Niles, California
The final product, a scruffy orange Hawthorne! Rides great, thanks again, I have no idea how I'd have finished this bike without those measurements.

image.jpg

Reactions: mrg

barracuda

I live for the CABE
Oct 27, 2009
Niles, California
I made two sets, because I have another, earlier Hawthorne springer project behind this one that was ALSO lacking the bushings. (I suppose they get lost easily - not really a surprise, they have nothing to hang on once the wheels come off. ) I guess I ought to have mass-produced, but it was kinda pricey, and I figured I was taking a chance to see if the fabbed ones would work in the first place. So if you're asking if I have some for sale, I don't really. But I CAN tell you that the measurements WORK! So if there's a larger need for these pieces, more could be made and the price would fall accordingly, of course.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

Sarg1969

Feb 7, 2016
Perry, Georgia
Hi, I just aquired a bike with this fork but it is missing the truss rods. Are they specific to this for or can other truss rods fit it too?

A4351F2A-E135-4DA2-A88D-EC3196A082BB.jpeg

Reactions: Barto

rhenning

I live for the CABE
May 9, 2010
Sharon wi United States
Truss rods are specific to the make and size a bike is. That bike doesn't have truss rods but is a spring fork. Roger

Last edited:

Sarg1969

Feb 7, 2016
Perry, Georgia
Hi, I just aquired a bike with this fork but it is missing the truss rods. Are they specific to this fork or can other truss rods fit it too? This is a ttuss rod/spring fork

A4351F2A-E135-4DA2-A88D-EC3196A082BB.jpeg
0E7832E4-1869-490D-8F79-9F3F4E4510DA.png

Sarg1969

Feb 7, 2016
Perry, Georgia
Heres some examples of this fork with the truss rods. Would like to put them back on if I can find them.

9A236F3F-534F-41D8-A21A-2D70B7937357.jpeg

10DF7C53-57AF-49A2-BD4E-6594E38B2522.jpeg

rhenning

I live for the CABE
May 9, 2010
Sharon wi United States
How does the springer part of the fork move if it has truss rods? Looks to me like they would prevent the suspension movement. Maybe a owner modification. You could make truss rods with a tap and some round stock and bending. You would still need measurements to do it. Roger

Archie Sturmer

I live for the CABE
Jun 13, 2018
Los Angeles, CA, USA
The truss rods are not attached to the movable springer fork; they are attached to the fixed fork end and the fixed pivot end of the rocker plates; they are also attached at the headset assembly top (also relatively fixed).

I believe that Snyder truss rods will fit, if of the right gender. Iirc, boys bikes may have had ~3.5" head tubes; girls ~5.0".

Last edited:

Archie Sturmer

I live for the CABE
Jun 13, 2018
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Anyone ever try to substitute the stepped bushing (not having any) with two bushings instead, either stacked or concentric, (or washers)?
Also, would a threaded collar piece work as well, or just make it more difficult to disassemble?

WetDogGraphix

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jul 29, 2015
West Coast
Anyone ever try to substitute the stepped bushing (not having any) with two bushings instead, either stacked or concentric, (or washers)?
Also, would a threaded collar piece work as well, or just make it more difficult to disassemble?
This bushing is important. It could be 2 pieces, but the dimensions need to be the same....
image.jpg

1.jpg

IMG_1402 (002).JPG

The large part sits in the opening and prevents movement of the axle forward or back, only up & down.

2.jpg

IMG_1400 (002).JPG

The smaller part of the bushing fit inside the springer rod.

3.jpg

IMG_1403 (002).JPG

The nut tightens down on the bushing and allows a space between the rod and the fork.

4.jpg

If this piece is on the outside, you can see how it might bind things up.
Hope this helps.
(Had to go outside and take mine apart to get pics. My axle area is not open like this one, so getting that axle in is quite the event. @Velocipedist Co. helped get mine in)

Reactions: rustjunkie

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
May 4, 2014
Planet Mongo
In 1938, when this springer fork was introduced, it did not come with truss rods. They were an option. Remember, there's an easy way to place your front wheel in, if you're by yourself...and you don't want to wreck your knuckles.... Set your bike next to a closed door, upside down. Tie one fork end to the door knob and pull the other fork end to you, spreading the fork as you place your wheel in. Usually the stock front axle on these models is longer, making it hard to get the wheel in. The spring in these forks are the same springs used in the later 1950s forks. Girl's springs are shorter than boy's. I used to have a couple of these rockers and bushings laying around, if I can find them I will bring to Memory Lane with me.

Reactions: WetDogGraphix
This ad goes away when you register for an account!