for sale recently restored 1912 Wonder bike - By Time Machines, Ltd. Frame No. 154866

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

Dick Rath

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jan 9, 2016
This bicycle, as I received it was an earlier amature restoration that required a complete "do over" which, to me, means a careful, detailed restoration to the same standard I set for my work 35 years ago. The bike is a 1912 Wonder model. I'm not certain of the actual manufacturer however the head badge inclues the the name Shapleigh Hardware Company whom I've been told was actually the distribtor for these machines that were often used for road racing by professional and non-professionals alike and were of a quality that could easily be modified for the Velodrome racing so popular in the teens and early twenties. Since the bike had been repainted numerous time it was impoosible to determine the actual original frame color. I was able to find an early black and white photo of the same model and from that dermined the graphic scheme with elongated darts that encompassed the head set and part of the frames tubing. I restored the saddle but I'm not 100% certain it is the original however it does appear it might be based on the photo. The Maple rims were made by Noah Stutzman at Stutzman's Wheel Shop in Baltic, Ohio. They include fitted aluminum internal inserts (hidden from view) to accept the modern 700 x 35 inflatable tires by Electra, the spokes are stainless steel double butted fitted to nickel plated 1" nipples, the tires are creme colored and have no contrasting colored stripes or logo's. The hand grips are the originals which have been re-finished and re-wrapped with new leather; the tool pouch, which I've conserved, was on the bike when I purchased it. The 2 added accessories include a polished brass "Neverout" oil headlamp, a polished brass restored frame mounted tire pump both of which are period correct. The display stand is included in the sale.

Note that the original coaster brake rear hub is one of the very early New Depature-model A assembiles that were notorious for being somewhat lacking in their capability to bring the rider to a quick stop; this unit has proved to be no exception. It has been disassembled and inspected and shows significant wear evident on the mating cone bits that comprise the braking component. It has been properly greased and reassembled and fitted into the polished hub. I would advice whom ever eventually ends up with the bike with the intention of riding her to think about replacing the Model A hub with the much improved New Departure model D version which are readily available. The pictures that follow show the handle bars in both the racing position and the far more comfortable touring position.

My asking price for the bike is $4,000.00 USD with resonable offers considered. It can be picked up in Sebastian, Florida (32958) or shipped anywhere in the world via Bikeflights.com. I do charge $125.00 for my partial disassembly and packaging for bicyles that require shipping. My experience has shown that Bikeflights.com's charges are, by a wide margin, the lowest available. In addition the company is a pleasure to work; both knowledgeable, courteous, and dependable. For questions, additional information, or to discuss a purchase please email me at: angelasgrandpa@aol.com or call me between 10AM and 8PM Eatern Daylight Savings Time at 518-339-7867

To see some example of my restoration work please visit my website: timemachineslimited.com Click on any photo to bring up multiple pictures of that model.

My intention prior to the Corona Virus abruptly changing everything for everybody was to consign the bike to the Copake Antique Bicycle Auction this month which has now been converted to an on-line auction. However with the understanding that the auction site does not allow placing reserves nor do they allow consignee starting bids, I've decided to remain with my previous means of offering my restored bicycles for sale through The Cabe, The Wheelemen, and a variety popular collector web sites.

Dick Rath

DSCN3601.JPG

DSCN3668.JPG

DSCN3653.JPG

bikebozo

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Dec 1, 2015
Winter Garden, United States
What I learned about Shapleigh is they bought out closed down shops and had there crew assemble the bikes from the frames and parts they accumilated, Nice work , Mr Rath

Reactions: Phattiremike

Archie Sturmer

I live for the CABE
Jun 13, 2018
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I’ve seen teens catalogs that showed that Shapleigh St. Louis was supplied by Davis, in those times, until Davis closed; then perhaps from Schwinn (interim) and then Westfield. The Davis number #6 sprocket (with a 6-point star of Davis) is consistent with such understanding.

The site has rules for selling items and the how and where (which forum) to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoofhearted

Dick Rath

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jan 9, 2016
What I learned about Shapleigh is they bought out closed down shops and had there crew assemble the bikes from the frames and parts they accumilated, Nice work , Mr Rath
That is very interesting. Considering that by 1912, the year this particular bicycle was produced, the bicycle "boom" at, and just prior to, the turn of the century was pretty much over, it would make sense that Shapleigh Hardware might be able create a lucrative business doing as you suggest. My experience has been that earlier safety bicycle manufacturers were increasingly turning to specialty producers of many components that, but for some detailing, were interchangeable to at least some degree between brands. This trend would have given Shapleigh's venture a reasonable chance at success at least until the components ( frames and forks ) from the shuttered shops ran out. Thanks for sharing this, bikebozo.

Dan Shabel

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jun 17, 2017
St. Louis
This bicycle, as I received it was an earlier amature restoration that required a complete "do over" which, to me, means a careful, detailed restoration to the same standard I set for my work 35 years ago. The bike is a 1912 Wonder model. I'm not certain of the actual manufacturer however the head badge inclues the the name Shapleigh Hardware Company whom I've been told was actually the distribtor for these machines that were often used for road racing by professional and non-professionals alike and were of a quality that could easily be modified for the Velodrome racing so popular in the teens and early twenties. Since the bike had been repainted numerous time it was impoosible to determine the actual original frame color. I was able to find an early black and white photo of the same model and from that dermined the graphic scheme with elongated darts that encompassed the head set and part of the frames tubing. I restored the saddle but I'm not 100% certain it is the original however it does appear it might be based on the photo. The Maple rims were made by Noah Stutzman at Stutzman's Wheel Shop in Baltic, Ohio. They include fitted aluminum internal inserts (hidden from view) to accept the modern 700 x 35 inflatable tires by Electra, the spokes are stainless steel double butted fitted to nickel plated 1" nipples, the tires are creme colored and have no contrasting colored stripes or logo's. The hand grips are the originals which have been re-finished and re-wrapped with new leather; the tool pouch, which I've conserved, was on the bike when I purchased it. The 2 added accessories include a polished brass "Neverout" oil headlamp, a polished brass restored frame mounted tire pump both of which are period correct. The display stand is included in the sale.

Note that the original coaster brake rear hub is one of the very early New Depature-model A assembiles that were notorious for being somewhat lacking in their capability to bring the rider to a quick stop; this unit has proved to be no exception. It has been disassembled and inspected and shows significant wear evident on the mating cone bits that comprise the braking component. It has been properly greased and reassembled and fitted into the polished hub. I would advice whom ever eventually ends up with the bike with the intention of riding her to think about replacing the Model A hub with the much improved New Departure model D version which are readily available. The pictures that follow show the handle bars in both the racing position and the far more comfortable touring position.

My asking price for the bike is $4,000.00 USD with resonable offers considered. It can be picked up in Sebastian, Florida (32958) or shipped anywhere in the world via Bikeflights.com. I do charge $125.00 for my partial disassembly and packaging for bicyles that require shipping. My experience has shown that Bikeflights.com's charges are, by a wide margin, the lowest available. In addition the company is a pleasure to work; both knowledgeable, courteous, and dependable. For questions, additional information, or to discuss a purchase please email me at: angelasgrandpa@aol.com or call me between 10AM and 8PM Eatern Daylight Savings Time at 518-339-7867

To see some example of my restoration work please visit my website: timemachineslimited.com Click on any photo to bring up multiple pictures of that model.

My intention prior to the Corona Virus abruptly changing everything for everybody was to consign the bike to the Copake Antique Bicycle Auction this month which has now been converted to an on-line auction. However with the understanding that the auction site does not allow placing reserves nor do they allow consignee starting bids, I've decided to remain with my previous means of offering my restored bicycles for sale through The Cabe, The Wheelemen, and a variety popular collector web sites.

Dick Rath

DSCN3601.JPG

DSCN3668.JPG

DSCN3653.JPG
What is the purpose of the knurled piece on the rear axle? Beautiful bike!

IngoMike

Wore out three sets of tires already!
May 7, 2013
Sand City, Ca.
Here is a blurb about Shapleigh Hardware from the LuxLow Bicycle web site. They had the same bicycle available for sale awhile ago and I used to look at it a lot but never pulled the trigger. Their bike is in original condition, your bike is too nice! I could not grab one of the many pictures from their web page for some reason. Here is the web link: https://luxlow.com/bicycles/llwoodwheel/antique-1912-shapleigh-hardware-wonder-wood-wheel-bicycle/
Here is the blurb:
"This Vintage 1912 Wonder was the in house bike brand offered from the Shapleigh Hardware Store. Augustus F. Shapleigh had a history in the hardware industry and in the mid 1800s moved to St. Louis Missouri Considered The Gateway to the West. In St. Louis A. F. Shapleigh developed a highly successful nationwide hardware chain called A. F. Shapleigh Hardware. A. F. Shapleigh hardware stores had a long run out lasting many competitors, staying in business up until 1960s. It is known that Shapleigh had some of there bikes made by Pope / Columbia and this one is Pope manufactured. The Wonder Badge says 1912 which leads me to a correct year since the bike has no fender drilling that is a trait that comes on bikes after 1914. This Shapleigh Wonder was restored as found and is a nice example of a basic teens bike."

Last edited:
Reactions: hoofhearted

Phallon1

On Training Wheels
Feb 6, 2020
Copake New York
Dick, Hey there Seth Fallon here, our intention is our bicycle sale to be live in our gallery with normal crowd and swap meet as well as online, our next estate auction (end of april or may possibly will be online only, but the bike sale will be our normal event, that being said if it looks like June won't be good we still may have to push it out, but when we do have it will be normal annual sale with swap meet and live crowd in gallery! Will keep everyone posted. Didn't mean to butt into thread but wanted to clarify! Hope you are doing well and staying safe, bicycle above is another great machine done by you!

Dick Rath

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jan 9, 2016
Here is a blurb about Shapleigh Hardware from the LuxLow Bicycle web site. They had the same bicycle available for sale awhile ago and I used to look at it a lot but never pulled the trigger. Their bike is in original condition, your bike is too nice! I could not grab one of the many pictures from their web page for some reason. Here is the web link: https://luxlow.com/bicycles/llwoodwheel/antique-1912-shapleigh-hardware-wonder-wood-wheel-bicycle/
Here is the blurb:
"This Vintage 1912 Wonder was the in house bike brand offered from the Shapleigh Hardware Store. Augustus F. Shapleigh had a history in the hardware industry and in the mid 1800s moved to St. Louis Missouri Considered The Gateway to the West. In St. Louis A. F. Shapleigh developed a highly successful nationwide hardware chain called A. F. Shapleigh Hardware. A. F. Shapleigh hardware stores had a long run out lasting many competitors, staying in business up until 1960s. It is known that Shapleigh had some of there bikes made by Pope / Columbia and this one is Pope manufactured. The Wonder Badge says 1912 which leads me to a correct year since the bike has no fender drilling that is a trait that comes on bikes after 1914. This Shapleigh Wonder was restored as found and is a nice example of a basic teens bike."

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

Dick Rath

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jan 9, 2016
Hi Mike,

Sorry I'm so long in responding to your most informative note. The bicycle in the Luxlow ad is, in fact, the very bike that I restored. For some reason I misplaced or more likely mistakenly tossed the information I had concerning from whom I purchased the bike. I usually keep better records than this might indicate but receiveing your note was most most welcome. For some reason I had stuck in my mind that the seller was based in Washingto State. Had I had the pictures, that are still up on Luxlow's website I could have saved lots of time and effort trying to figure out the frame paint details / graphics which I ultimately got from a black and white picture of what seemed a sister to my bike. As you might have surmized when comparing the two sets of pictures I was able to use pretty much everything on the bike as I recieved it except for the rims, spokes, and tires. The rims might have been restorable but they were pretty badly warped with some serious delamination as well; they were also single tube type which, as you probably know, leave restorers with little prospect for ending up with a rideable machine. RD Tires in West Virginia have 2 options for 28" single tube tires, one, in my view, with it linear treads simply does not "look" period correct, the other, a smooth non-tread tire that looks correct is too wide to fit comfortably between this bikes forks. I didn't destroy the original rims which might someday end up on another project however the tires were really kaput and had to be cut off the rims.

I put the bike up for sale first on The Cabe because I thought I'd like to see it end up remaining in the US where it was produced; of the last 30 or so bikes I've restored all but two of them have been sold to a collector in Switzerland who will, sometime in the future, be creating an antique bicycle museum in his home village. While I am fortunate to have a patron like this gentleman I would sometimes prefer that at least certain of my retored bicycles could have remained in the country. I turned 80 last month and while I'm presently in pretty good health one never knows what's around the bend; I've limited my time in the shop to a few hours each week to allow more time for smelling the roses and actually pedalling around some of the lovely and inviting local bike paths here on the east coast of Florida none of which have an incline that exceed about 2 degrees. We moved here a few years ago from the Catskill Mountain region of Upstate New York where the inclines resemble what you'd encounter in the Tour de France.......not good for these old knees, calves, or chest fuel pump.

Thank you for the time you graciously spent researching my Wonder Bike's odd history; it was appreciated as well as it was enjoyable to read and to absorb.

Regards,

Dick

Phattiremike

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
May 16, 2016
Dahlonega Ga.
Beautiful restoration Dick as usual! Would the color scheme be correct, outstanding pinstriping!

Dick Rath

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jan 9, 2016
Beautiful restoration Dick as usual! Would the color scheme be correct, outstanding pinstriping!
Mike, the pattern was derived from a black and white early teens photo of a near identical Wonder bicycle identified on it's reverse side as being being Shapleigh "built" but the date on the headbadge could not be seen in the photo which was taken as a side view. As for the color scheme I could not say with certainty that it is correct. The black sections are very likely to be correct but the tan is my guess backed up by a few hints of that color revealed as I peeled back time during the paint removal process. The gold pin striping was a guess as well but derived from my having completed so many restorations of bicycles from this period. My view is that the restoration is period correct but the tan section I'm afraid I can't say with absolute certainty to be "factory original correct". I've found over my 35 plus years restoring early safety bicycles that are, for the most part, over 100 yeas old some decisions that are made during the process require both extensive research and an occassional leap of faith. I will say that being a member of both the Cabe and The Wheelmen has been a great source of information for me as I tackle bringing these old machines back to life. I do always strive to get the details right. I also know there are many whose interests in these old bikes that would like to string me up for restoring them to, or near to, their factory original condition and appearance. Most of my projects begin with rust heaps that few would go any further than to strip them for a few salvagable parts. Personally I've passed on many potential projects that had been stripped of key components that I knew would be near impossible to replace.........so there is always that; at least from my perspective.
Thanks for your interest, Mike.
Dick Rath

OC_Rolling_Art

Finally riding a big boys bike
Aug 17, 2019
Huntington Beach, CA
I turned 80 last month and while I'm presently in pretty good health one never knows what's around the bend; I've limited my time in the shop to a few hours each week to allow more time for smelling the roses and actually pedalling around some of the lovely and inviting local bike paths here on the east coast of Florida none of which have an incline that exceed about 2 degrees. We moved here a few years ago from the Catskill Mountain region of Upstate New York where the inclines resemble what you'd encounter in the Tour de France.......not good for these old knees, calves, or chest fuel pump.

Thank you for the time you graciously spent researching my Wonder Bike's odd history; it was appreciated as well as it was enjoyable to read and to absorb.

Regards,

Dick
Dick,

It is refreshing to see a man of your age, someone so well spoken... still restoring bikes, and still riding them. I hope I can do the same, I turn 56 tomorrow. I would be grateful to have another 25 years in this hobby, with time to smell an occasional rose. A great bicycle, elegantly done.

Mike - Huntington Beach

Reactions: Phattiremike
This ad goes away when you register for an account!