When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frame identification help!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bcdaddy

On Training Wheels
Can anyone help ID this frame? Originally thought it might be a Schwinn but the Schwinn Forum thinks not. The BB is stamped with the serial number: K 17 4044. Any guesses about the year or manufacturer would be appreciated. Thanks for the help!

DSCN0334.JPG
DSCN9747.JPG
DSCN9748.JPG
DSCN9749.JPG
DSCN9751.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0335.JPG
    DSCN0335.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCN0348.JPG
    DSCN0348.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 194
It might be a Shelby. They were pretty much the only other co. to have the pinched frame stays above the fender mount.

First the disclaimer. I'm definitely no expert on the designs and build methods of bike frames.

To my eyes it looks like your chainstays are electro forged at the bottom bracket. Is that the case? I've never seen a downtube and seat mask joint on the bottom bracket shell like that either. Not quite sure what happened at the downtube/lower top tube head joint? Is that supposed to be a fillet brazed joint? The top tube head joint looks nice. As I mentioned in the other thread, could this possibly be a modern day rendition of an old 1930's frame?

Looks like a mid 30's Shelby frame. Rear dropouts and bottom bracket welds look like Shelby welds.

Look inside the bottom bracket and the head tube. Do the joints look like open fish mouths?

fishmouth joint.jpg

Last edited:
Look inside the bottom bracket and the head tube. Do the joints look like open fish mouths?

View attachment 136378

Now I'm really getting an education! I'll check inside the frame to look at the welds. I'm not sure what an electro forged weld looks like but I'll try and find out. Not sure if it matters but the frame was in ROUGH shape with a horrible homemade paint job. It needed a decent amount of JB Weld to fill some dents and two coats of powder coat. Maybe that makes it more difficult to tell what kind of welds there are leading to more confusion? Thanks for the input guys.;)

First of all...there is a Schwinn forum?
I wasn't aware.

I am thinking Shelby as well, but the fork ain't Shelby (quite certain the fork and frame are mismatched), neither are bearing cups.
Chris

Back