When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G519 Tribute Build

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I really enjoyed your tribute bike story. I came across your article about 2/3's into my project and was interested to see we went about things almost the same way. I experienced the same issues you did with the build. The only difference is I ended up putting a Huffman fork on my Columbia G 519 tribute. Since in wartime, parts were sometimes swapped out that is how I am justifying it. :)
I would love to see a picture of your completed bike. You have done a great job.

AA7EE011-7BEC-4A86-9D57-83EB24801546.jpeg

Closer to being complete. I have slowed. But I will push through. I need to paint everything that shines. And paint the bottom portion of the rear fender white. But I really wanted to get my stenciling finished and get that on. The rear fender will have the bicycle number 17 and acronym DAAB probably painted in black or OD green. I am not decided yet on that.Blue Drab might be cool too. I need to wrap this project up. This weekend I am picking up the foundation to my next project. A WWII cushman scooter. Apparently I have been spelling Dyersburg incorrectly the whole time. My uncle teasing asked after I had painted. Luckily the stenciling was not cured and I was able to whipe the surplus E away with denatured alcohol without harming my Grandfathers signature.

Well yes and no. What I found is cushman 53A. Early 1946 made of military parts and some civilian (upgrades). So super easy to backdate to 1945 configuration. Only main thing will be removing rear suspension. And repairing the frame. Replace seat. Oh and rebuild the engine. All running gear is accounted for. Frame around engine and seat is missing and will have to be fabricated. Luckily I found a man who has Jigs and builds the missing pieces. All I have to do is weld it back together.

You build and story are fantastic. Enjoy what you have done.
I completed my tribute build this past Saturday.
JimRoy

Well yes and no. What I found is cushman 53A. Early 1946 made of military parts and some civilian (upgrades). So super easy to backdate to 1945 configuration. Only main thing will be removing rear suspension. And repairing the frame. Replace seat. Oh and rebuild the engine. All running gear is accounted for. Frame around engine and seat is missing and will have to be fabricated. Luckily I found a man who has Jigs and builds the missing pieces. All I have to do is weld it back together.

Hello;
Yes, i know both models well.
We have a ww2 CUSHMAN 53 of 12-44.
Good restoration.
Cheers;
Serge

C2874A20-5308-4AA4-BDEE-3CE635EF26C2.jpeg

DCEE9D8E-5B22-4E06-A893-265D17C9A4D6.jpeg

D63B5327-54FE-438B-AA0C-DB208DCB5D66.jpeg

B1AEC5ED-3EA5-42DE-912B-C32DCEE81DF6.jpeg
Took My Bicycle to the Swap meet and a Vintage Car show over the weekend. Met some new friends and fellow Caber at the swapmeet. Spent more time than I thought I would Talking Bicycle.

Interesting Note at the pre 1945 show. There was a 1941 staff car and 3 Jeeps. One of the guys with a jeep said I have one of those and pulled out a 1950’s schwin with tank painted OD. I told him they are not the same and he looked at me funny. But the model T guys were intrigued. Listened to my story, took lots of pictures and My bicycle build and Story of the G-519 in service will be featured in the Santa Clara Model T newsletter next month. Cool.

I picked up some paint from the swapmeet that color matched the NOS handlebars and NOS wheels. Guess I will be repainting my bike. I also picked up the correct 24 tooth coffin chainring from a fellow Caber. Sweet. Thanks John.

I must add. I love having a bicycle at shows. It is so nice on my feet to move about with wheels. It was just so great. It was everything I imagined and more. I would love to have a bicycle that matches the erra of my model T now.

I just totaled up my cost to build this Bicycle. Damn. My $100 frame added up quickly to something I should insure. Can you get Bicycle insurance?. Probably no surprise to some. I thought i was around $1000. But once you get deep into the restoration. Nothing will stop going for the authenticity. Next Time It might be cheaper to buy a real G519. I am still on the hunt for a Frame. So my Tribute turns into a real one.

Last edited:
Back