When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Garage find, hoping to get an idea if value

-
I really appreciate all the replies. I usually recycle all of the metal I get except for unique items or really old ones. I think I'm going to fix it it up. I will send photos with progress.
Good on you. The upside to a bike like this is you are gambling with house money. You aren't restoring the Mona Lisa, so any choice you like is a good choice. I'd sand this one down and rattle can it (I've had fair results with Spray.Bike paint) to get that sense of a big visual change.

This was one of Schwinn's higher end road bikes in it's time. This one has suffered years of neglect, but it's straight and mostly all there. It's worth fixing up if you have the time and the interest. These are a whole different animal than a Continental or Varsity.

Good on you. The upside to a bike like this is you are gambling with house money. You aren't restoring the Mona Lisa, so any choice you like is a good choice. I'd sand this one down and rattle can it (I've had fair results with Spray.Bike paint) to get that sense of a big visual change.
bthoff, Rattle can or repainting any old bike is; to collectors, a forbidden sin.

It ruins original characteristics an identity and in most every case is good money wasted as, in terms of collectible value, does not increase monetary worth any more than it was before painting. U could say, take a 100 year old bike into consideration, old beat up original paint is prized more than repainted stuff, nostalgic.

It may improve appearance but, unlike original baked on factory paints, if it's put back in service as indented originally, chips easy and looks like junk again.
Yet there's the golden rule: It's your bike and U can do whatever you like.

;)

while not a great value in that condition, or even in good condition it looks like a bike that a paint job, new seat and some elbow grease and maybe replace the rusty cranks and chain rings would make into a good bike to ride. I'm sure I am not the only one here who likes to fix things up that are a mess. I do the same thing with old furniture. last dresser I did was in the dirt on a 3 walled building on a pig farm and it looked like it. 10 paint jobs, assorted screws stuck in it to hold it together. it was a mess and I made it pretty. just for fun.

bthoff, Rattle can or repainting any old bike is; to collectors, a forbidden sin.

It ruins original characteristics an identity and in most every case is good money wasted as, in terms of collectible value, does not increase monetary worth any more than it was before painting. U could say, take a 100 year old bike into consideration, old beat up original paint is prized more than repainted stuff, nostalgic.

It may improve appearance but, unlike original baked on factory paints, if it's put back in service as indented originally, chips easy and looks like junk again.
Yet there's the golden rule: It's your bike and U can do whatever you like.

;)

However the new owner chooses to own it, we can all celebrate that it didn't end up in the scrap yard.

Back