Help Me Choose the Right Paint Job for my New Tank!

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

Buster1

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Oct 23, 2011
Las Vegas
Just acquired the correct hanging tank for my '39 Black Elgin. Thanks Catfish! It's gonna be blasted and painted to match my '39 lady!
IMG_4476-1.jpg

Now. Below are a few photos I've found of the rare Westfield built Elgin with tank. I have no Westfield built Elgin catalog shots, and only have these examples to go off of. The Murray Elgins (with the long tank that goes past the seatpost) seem to be more prominent. I am avoiding those examples. Below is everything I have for a Westfield Elgin (prewar). What do you guys think I should do? Does anyone have any catalogs for a '39 Westfield made Elgin? The tan/orange Elgin is a 1940 I'm told, with the curved seatpost.

Which tank paint scheme looks the best?

elgin1-1.jpg

1940Elgin-1.jpg

IMG_2373-1.jpg

Last edited:

Mole

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jul 8, 2012
Glendale, AZ
I think the bottom tank looks sexy... if you picture that in black and white... that's the way to go.

scrubbinrims

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Sep 2, 2010
4900 New Kent Rd, Richmond, VA 23225, USA
Yes the bottom tank is the choice...above looks like a MO Elgin with the peaked tank paint scheme which Westfield mimicked on this clamshell for Sears catalogue consistency (I am guessing) as that design doesn't work with the clamshell topography.
Also, you could do a 2-two, but you have to track down the surfboard guard to best pull it together.
Chris
elgin  2tone.jpg

Last edited:

fordmike65

Riding a '37 Colson Imperial
Mar 4, 2012
East Los
I agree with the others that you should go with the lower paint scheme, especially since that bike has the same style darts as your bike. Very nice BTW!

Nickinator

Riding my '38 Deluxe Bluebird
Jul 21, 2011
Mpls, MN
I think paint scheme on the red one would like nice as a black paint job

Nick.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

Buster1

Oct 23, 2011
Las Vegas
Thanks for the advice guys, please keep it coming if you have ideas.

Balloon, thanks for the catalog shots! I have a few of those, the problem is that they are all Murray (MO) built bikes and mine is a Westfield. I am guessing (but do not know) that the schemes are all different between builders.

I do really like the tan/orange tank design and am leaning that way in black/white of course. However if I could ever find a Westfield catalog from '39 (even Leon didn't have one), I might know which is more correct for my bike.

Does anyone have any good shots of that tank that I could replicate? The tan/orange tank design.

dfa242

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
May 16, 2011
Wrentham, MA
Does anyone have any good shots of that tank that I could replicate? The tan/orange tank design.
I sold that orange Elgin but here's about the best pic I have of the tank - I think someone else here on the Cabe has the same bike - maybe he's got a better pic.

12 - Copy.JPG

Buster1

Oct 23, 2011
Las Vegas
Thanks so much! That's clear enough for me to replicate it accurately!

This ad goes away when you register for an account!