When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How?

-

Coaster Brake

Wore out three sets of tires already!
So, I'm attempting to pull my 1901 chainless Crescent apart, and have hit an obstacle.
0587900f-1.jpg

I cannot get the left crank arm off, but then again, I am unsure of how it really attaches either. I unscrewed the nut that appeared to hold it on, only to find that it appears to be attached in a much different fashion than the other side, which just simply slipped off.
072f9bea-1.jpg

I guess what I'm trying to ask is: How in the wide, wide world of sports do I take this old thing apart so I can paint it?

my guess is it has a key way in the axel. take off the nut and use a gear puller to take off the gear.
If this has a ball clutch,please show photos.It would be very interesting to see.

my guess is it has a key way in the axel. take off the nut and use a gear puller to take off the gear.
If this has a ball clutch,please show photos.It would be very interesting to see.

It's fixed gear, so it has no clutch as far as I know.
But then again, I know nothing.

My guess is that its pressed on, it looks like some sort of puller has been used on it before because of the indent in the shaft.

either that or you un-do some bolts from the other side and the whole assy. comes out with the arm still attached.

see that hole on the side with the arm still attached?

could that be a retaining ring? it might unscrew. if, you see a clear line between the outer shell and the "ring" then maybe you can use a drift and tap that ring. try gently in either direction. the best thing i can advise is to go to the wheelman site and ask there.
someone has done it before.
Walter Branche here or Pelletman might be good people to reach out to it wouldn't hurt to PM them.
They are very knowledgable in all things T.O.C. and before.

Supposedly the whole assemble comes apart if I can get that one crank arm off.
But nothing appears to be holding it on, and the manual just says to "remove crank arm"
It's gonna be awful hard to paint like that.

Try this..................

Grab a couple of 2x4's and place them on the ground.

With the crank-arm facing upward, place your frame on top of the 2x4's.

Now, If you notice there should be an indentation in the center of the bolt that is holding the crank-arm in place.

Take a center punch and hit it a couple of times with a hammer.

The crank-arm should slip right off.

Good luck.

p.s. make sure you got some penetrating oil in there before trying this method.;)

Last edited:
it's installed press-fit on the tapered axle, just like the good old square tapered cranks found on about any bike. I'd worry more about the one which came off without puller.
also note, DO NOT PUT GREASE ON SPINDLE/CRANK INTERFACE IN THE REBUILD PROCESS. the crank will go deeper on the shaft and the hole will get bigger (damaging).
again, there should NEVER be grease there, EVER! undersood?

look at this to get an idea of how it should be removed:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47703245@N02/6256180550/in/set-72157624240186627

have fun with your bike :)

it's installed press-fit on the tapered axle, just like the good old square tapered cranks found on about any bike. I'd worry more about the one which came off without puller.
also note, DO NOT PUT GREASE ON SPINDLE/CRANK INTERFACE IN THE REBUILD PROCESS. the crank will go deeper on the shaft and the hole will get bigger (damaging).
again, there should NEVER be grease there, EVER! undersood?

look at this to get an idea of how it should be removed:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47703245@N02/6256180550/in/set-72157624240186627

have fun with your bike :)

How would I get the puller under it though?
It sets flush against the bushing thing.

Dude!

Dude, try this method.

Grab a couple of 2x4's and place them on the ground.

With the crank-arm facing upward, place your frame on top of the 2x4's.

Now, If you notice there should be an indentation in the center of the bolt that is holding the crank-arm in place.

Take a center punch and hit it a couple of times with a hammer.

The crank-arm should slip right off.

Good luck.

p.s. make sure you got some penetrating oil in there before trying this method.;)

Back