This ad disappears when logged in

Gonzoman

On Training Wheels
Dec 13, 2017
Richardson, TX, United States
9FE733AD-DD78-44C9-92A5-6FB6DE01EC3B.jpeg
9D902CAB-6587-42AE-81F6-6A7D28CEB0E4.jpeg
EAEE6096-F37F-4CBA-9566-838D594F250F.jpeg
Hello, I have been stalking and trying to use the search feature to little avail. Hoping for any information on this bike.

Badged Whites super chief. I am needing the electric horn and correct headlight. But finding info on these is difficult. Any i formation would be awesome.

I bought it to give to my Michelle for Christmas. So basicaly got it ridable and cleaned up.

Gonzoman

On Training Wheels
Dec 13, 2017

Gonzoman

On Training Wheels
Dec 13, 2017
I believe that is CWC built, Cleveland Welding Co.
Thank you. Am I correct in thinking its roughly a 1953? The last two digits of the serial number are 53 but they are distanced from the rest of the number a bit.

Gonzoman

On Training Wheels
Dec 13, 2017
I believe that is CWC built, Cleveland Welding Co.
Any more info would be great. Is it desirable? I know when I saw it I had to get it. Does it look like an original bike?

Ive been looking at pictures of Chicago welding bikes and I believe your assesment is right on the money.

Any ideas on where I can find a correct headlight and horn? Is it even worth bothering with it?

Jay81

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Apr 26, 2015
Roseville MI
Any more info would be great. Is it desirable? I know when I saw it I had to get it. Does it look like an original bike?

Ive been looking at pictures of Chicago welding bikes and I believe your assesment is right on the money.

Any ideas on where I can find a correct headlight and horn? Is it even worth bothering with it?
I don't really know too much about these. Yours looks like it's been repainted, which hurts the value, but it is a cool 50's bike with a tank. Headlights and horns are out there, just keep an eye on the classifieds here, and on ebay. Try posting a wanted ad in the wanted section here on CABE for the light and horn.

Roadkill

Finally riding a big boys bike
May 7, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Looks like a rebadged Roadmaster by Cleveland Welding Co. Search for those and you'll probably find what you need. Nice bike. A CWC bike is on my want list.
Ride on
Sean

Adamtinkerer

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 8, 2008
Western North carolina
western flyer super 51.jpg
Thank you. Am I correct in thinking its roughly a 1953? The last two digits of the serial number are 53 but they are distanced from the rest of the number a bit.
Yes, the "53 Cw" is the year code. The model closest to yours is the Western Flyer 'Super' model, w/nearly the same tank and guard. There were also Hawthorne and Hiawatha badged versions, and each had the name stamped in the chain guard.

Oilit

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Dec 30, 2015
Concord NC
I don't really know too much about these. Yours looks like it's been repainted, which hurts the value, but it is a cool 50's bike with a tank. Headlights and horns are out there, just keep an eye on the classifieds here, and on ebay. Try posting a wanted ad in the wanted section here on CABE for the light and horn.
You think it's been repainted? It looks pretty clean to me, but this is the first of this version that I've ever seen.

Jay81

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Apr 26, 2015
Roseville MI
You think it's been repainted? It looks pretty clean to me, but this is the first of this version that I've ever seen.
Yes I think it's a repaint. Could be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.

Oilit

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Dec 30, 2015
Concord NC
Is that because of how clean the paint is? I have to admit, it looks suspiciously good for 60+ years old!

Jay81

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Apr 26, 2015
Roseville MI
Is that because of how clean the paint is? I have to admit, it looks suspiciously good for 60+ years old!
There's a few reasons i think that, and yes that is one of them. Don't really want to go into detail, as I don't want to sound like I'm picking his bike apart. Feel free to send me a pm if you'd like to do discuss further.

Gonzoman

On Training Wheels
Dec 13, 2017
There's a few reasons i think that, and yes that is one of them. Don't really want to go into detail, as I don't want to sound like I'm picking his bike apart. Feel free to send me a pm if you'd like to do discuss further.
I think it is a repaint as well. It was likely repainted in the 80s as the paint does have a bit of patina to it. My goal with this bike was to give my gf Michelle a fun and unusual bike she could ride as Christmas present.

I am curious to learn more about it. And would not view contructive critisism as tearing the bike apart as I didnt buy it as an investment. I just thought it was cool and unusual and beautiful. :)

In the interest if disclosure I gave 300.00 for the bike. So I feel I got a decent deal either way.

Having said all that any info you guys might have is appreciated.

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
The bike is a repaint.A super cool badge though and largely complete. I think $300 was a fair price and don't think you got hurt there. The correct light could be a challenge and expensive-probably at least $300 for a nice one. There are other less expensive lights that you can put on it. The horn shouldn't be too tough to find. Good luck with your project. V/r Shawn

Kevauxtonic

Look Ma, No Hands!
Dec 2, 2017
Bakersfield, CA, United States
Heres a pic of my 1952 Hawthorne CWC...same as the Flyers, Lux Liners, hiawathas (?), and a ton of others made by CWC at the time. Ive seen a few different headlights on these bikes. Just curious: have you opened up the tank yet, and if so, does the battery tray accept a 6volt lantern battery? Mine does, and i think the delta headlight can be wired to operate off the massive power supply?
def20f9e20138f5c7928a78e25190a0d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gonzoman

On Training Wheels
Dec 13, 2017
Heres a pic of my 1952 Hawthorne CWC...same as the Flyers, Lux Liners, hiawathas (?), and a ton of others made by CWC at the time. Ive seen a few different headlights on these bikes. Just curious: have you opened up the tank yet, and if so, does the battery tray accept a 6volt lantern battery? Mine does, and i think the delta headlight can be wired to operate off the massive power supply? View attachment 726698

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sadly, there is nothing at all in the tank. I am going to be needing everything.

That is a beautiful bike you have there!

Gonzoman

On Training Wheels
Dec 13, 2017
D2A29378-BCC5-42FF-92A5-6C50242DFD7F.jpeg
0AC7B7BF-8A28-4128-A53A-59493ECF1D0A.jpeg
Nice Gobby trike in the background :).
Thank you! I bought this one for 30.00 dollars in a garage sale. Its my 11 year ild daughters christmas present. It was rough when we got it. We stripped it, cleaned it, put new cables and brakes, then painted it a 57 chevy blue color.

I know it has no real value but I thought it was cool and I think she will love it lol

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture