When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

i.d. help Crescent Sweden??

-
Thanks. Confused Torpedo hub could barely read
51. 1951?? Looks like behind badge is a faded triangular area . Another badge? Is bike mixture of
mid century and prewar? Help

OK, so here´s the fact: The bike is from 1951, the year stamp on the hub aligns as it should with the serial number. It´s a ongoing number, so there´s no model code or anything like that in the number. The maker, Nymans Verkstäder in Uppsala, bought the company August Lindblad in 1931 and continued to make the swedish Crescent in Uppsala. It was previously made in Stockholm. Nymans Verkstäder made a lot of similar bikes with different names, some brand owned by their own company, some for others. The bikes were of very good quality and finish and are nice to ride. The paint behind the head badge is correct, the bike in general are original except for the head lamp. Here´s my unrestored and almost unused Crescent from 1952, the same bike: http://veterancykel.se/Crescent-1952-herr/

Indeed it is nearly the exact same bike that andybee75 has, and what a cool bike it is too. The saddle is exact construction except yours has a cooler texture. rear rack is a little different and as shown the appearance of a ghost badge on paint is accurate in that it's not but just original painted area. Perhaps not as highly valued for the age and not USA made nor are the 50's US racers or lightweights but certainly nice construction, design and decoration (Paint scheme). It's the 1st I've seen of this but thought too, even before I noticed the 1st clue; the forward facing drop outs would be no older than late 1930-early 40's, not an early bike .

Regardless, comparatively in consideration to a US early 50's verses yours, It's a Keeper!

Last edited:
The rack was changed 1951/52 and the toolbox inserted below in slots of the rack was changed from a paper material to plastic. The cleverly constructed lock also locked the toolbox simultaneously when locking the wheel. The saddle might not be original, but at least it's contemporary, they used leather cladded saddles before 1952 and as far as i know the saddles were brown plastic cladded in the same smooth structure my bike has.

Last edited:
Back