When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Information about 1978 Schwinn Klunker 5

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have a blue, 1980 Cruiser 5 with original paint, but would love to see photos of your bike, I always wanted a blue Klunker 5, but have never seen one that's orig.

Please post photos? If your bike really is original blue and painted chainguard why not show it?

Did you buy this bike yourself in 1978 from Aviation Bikes?

The following photographs of my blue Klunker 5 purchased from Aviation Cyclery in Manhattan beach, California 1978. The Klunker is in original condition. Everything is unchanged except the handlebar mirrior and the added speedometer. I raced this bicycle downhill from Griffith Park Observatory trail to Ferndale with my friends and their Schwinn, Yamaha, Mongoose, and other “dirt bikes” then. I also raced me Schwinn 20 inch dirt bike with Bendix two speed hub. We were the king of the hill. The best rim on that dirt bike was the Shimano heavey duty 20 inch rim with the rounded edge. In 1973 I paid $20.00 plus for the front and rear rims. We used to ride the Elysian park trails as well and on some occasions mini bikes. We did this on weekends to avoid the Park Ranger in Elysian Park. We dubbed him the park vulture.

7A150C6D-7CBA-4091-8502-D4CBCF3C00F6.jpeg

40F3ED4B-661A-448C-88F2-B1E78AF40F1B.jpeg

5F6CD3F4-1CDA-4771-9496-764F758891DA.jpeg

CD52EC28-3F00-450C-A12F-BF007BFF7BF4.jpeg

0FB78F50-75B4-45D9-B723-2AC1A51D2A71.jpeg

5CED448D-89DE-4F22-9E72-B1536C774290.jpeg

I have a blue, 1980 Cruiser 5 with original paint, but would love to see photos of your bike, I always wanted a blue Klunker 5, but have never seen one that's orig.

Please post photos? If your bike really is original blue and painted chainguard why not show it?

Did you buy this bike yourself in 1978 from Aviation Bikes?
Photos posted.

#1. Who knows the facts about the production numbers of the Schwinn Klunker 5.
Answer: Nobody.
#2. The first month produced in 1978
Answer: Having a list of all the Klunker's build dates stamped on the head badge is the only way to figure that out.
#3. what the six number serial number represents following the two letters.
Answer: The serial numbers are stamped on the bikes components prior to being used in building a frame. The date associated to the serial number is the date that number was stamped. That's all it represents, it's a serial number.
#4. How many were produced in the color schemes?
Answer: Nobody knows how many were produced in the (2) colors.

Probably repeats of what others have said and I'm not sure what else can be said. There are no records. I will add that there are quite a few fakes out there. If one is Blue or has a Klunker "decal" on the chain guard verses being painted on, it's a fake.
I have the photographs shown. Tires and tubes are as original although deflated. Have any information on ratio of black, red an blue produced?

Serial number was stamped in August and the bike was built on Wednesday, Nov. 8, 1978. Looks legit to me. No way of knowing how many of any color were produced.

That's odd. Blue Klunker On this black cruiser 5 >> You have a Feb 1980 frame, the fork's graphics are 81 which is not odd and rather usual but, a late 1978 badge?. Somebody either doesn't realize the badge serial is actual build date, (When replacing it with a better B/C the scratch on head post indicates the original 1981 badge might have gotten/beat/ bent/smashed or major scratch then too) or pulled the ol'll switch-a-roo. [wink] 2988 = Oct 25 1978

5f880011-5f61-4de8-8906-9a2ca566ab19-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Back