When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the hobby dying again?

-
I've seen the hobby change as interest changes. Back in the early 80's post war balloon tire bikes, parts, various makes were quite desirable and commanded decent $. As time went on into the 90's early 2k, Stingray stuff became more popular and desirable, prices increased. Mid 2k BMX became more and more popular/desirable. I've noticed that prewar stuff has always been strong and desirable, but now brands (other than Schwinn) are being found, sold, traded, restored etc. Prewar stuff is still riding strong. To me the next trend going to hit will be old school Mountain bikes. It's starting to gain more momentum. The cool thing is if you like bikes there's plenty of different types to suit your taste. Market will fluctuate. Keep it alive. Buy, trade, sell, collect. Make it fun!

I think the age of the Internet is the age of education. If you do an hour of research you can ensure you aren't paying top dollar. Make friends and you can find what you need at very fair prices, if you are willing to do the same and sell to your friends who have different interests.

There is certainly still a market for bikes, and always will be. Its just not as easy to label your bike "rare" and have people take your word for it. But if you keep trying and have a true interest they are still out there.

@Nickinator also you know more about the hobby than most here so with your knowledge you'll have no problem selling. Maybe just not as fast or as often, with a little lower prices.

Lots of great comments. At the end of the day, it's a hobby and if you dig it, go with it. If It's an investment, prepare to lose, just like the stock market. We are all getting older. Generally we collect what we remember. 1920's/30's car markets are dead, as most people from that era are. Even 50's cars have been dying and the 60's/70's cars have been hot. Why...because of the market of aging Boomers/ people with $$ are buyers. Today's kids generally don't give a rat's arse about vintage bikes or anything other than the next "text" on their cell phones.

With that in mind, the hobby will shrink (and all cool antiques). I think most people in the hobby and CABE are over 30. No problem. Newbies are welcome. There are certain people ( younger) who can see the quality of items made at a "better time" when things were made with pride and by hand. If you are in a hobby for pleasure, who cares? If in it for profit or status, best look at your cards and fold or suck it up.

I'm just happy looking at my "stash" of history/bikes/goodies, and above all, the pleasure I've experienced with people I've dealt with acquiring said items and to ride them and hopefully pass them on to my kids ( who will flip and get zip$$ no doubt) for someone else to enjoy. Cheers, Bob

There is a movement happening now to reject "stuff" in general. Millenials are spending their money on travel in competition with their online "friends" over taking the best selfie. They're posting photos of restaurant food on their plate instead of their new bike. From their point of view, a $3,000 bike will collect dust but a trip to Paris will provide lifelong memories.

Time will tell if it's a permanent societal change or just a fad, but there are other forces at work too. With global warming and plastic in the oceans, people are disenchanted with old ways of thinking and living. Now we have a "sharing economy". Here in Toronto you don't even need to own a single bike to enjoy cycling, you can just rent one from the city's bike share program. If I tell people I have 50 bicycles they look at me like I have 3 heads. But I like my 50 bikes and I'm keeping them!

This hobby may shrink but it won't die. The bicycle is in the top ten of the greatest inventions of all time, plus it's green!

Google this Forbes article for further reading:

033 views|Jan 2, 2019,4:12 pm
NOwnership, No Problem: An Updated Look At Why Millennials Value Experiences Over Owning Things
Cheers, fellow Canuck!

That's because they suck with money and stuff so they reject that stuff for that reason.

Or so the 'mainstream media' says (whatever THAT is). The secret is to get some things cheap and work on it.

Or as my signature says on another site: My stuff: A bunch of happy little crap that mostly says Pioneer whether it works or not, or something like that.

I agree that I'll probably be dead in 12 years, but I like to say so will these kids, NYAH.

Take with a grain of salt (and these are from Barrie, Ontario, Canadian Content)

DKP_2131-1024x713.jpg

So I know I've been out of bicycles for quite a while but, it's come to my attention that prices have gone down in parts also the demand has too so I'm just wondering why that is. Has everybody found the parts they've been looking for? Have people moved on to different eras instead of art deco? I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks.

Nick.

Watch this:
Marketing at its finest. Learn from SE. Where i live all the kids have these SE bikes and they wheelie all the way down the street....cant do that on a balloon JC Higgins with out breaking your back. Just means i can pick up old bikes others dont want and list them or parts here.... Lovin the idea

Screenshot_2019-10-13-08-21-20.png

Back