When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

J.C.Higgins Sport Flite $29.95!!

-

Wayne Adam

I live for the CABE
Hey guys, this has to be the deal of the week. Sunday evening I was looking at bikes on Ebay, and I came across this really cool Higgins.
The guy had just posted it 3 hours prior with a buy it now for $29.95, but it must be picked up within 5 days, and no shipping. Well, it was
just over the state line in Upstate NY, about 45 miles from my house. I hit the buy it now & I won this beauty for $29.95!
This "Sport Flite" appears to be Higgins version of the Schwinn Speedster. The lines are the same, and even the front rack is identical. It has
front aluminum caliper Weinnman brakes, and coaster brakes in the rear. It also has the same rack & fenders as the Spaceliner. The paint is pretty worn, but presentable.
The chrome is in exceptional condition, and even the pedals have the triple jewels. The original Troxel crash bar seat still looks great!
These are the kind of deals I need in my current financial situation.
One question I have for you guys. The rear hub is a Bendix Automatic & there are three red stripes on the hub. Can you tell me what this means?

Hey jd...no tank lights, but still pretty cool. Also, I picked this bike up only 5 miles from where I got my '61 Firebolt. It must be a hot area.
Anyway, thanks for looking!..............................Wayne

Attachments

• IMG_0787.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    269.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0788.JPG
    IMG_0788.JPG
    406.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0789.JPG
    IMG_0789.JPG
    459 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0790.JPG
    IMG_0790.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0792.JPG
    IMG_0792.JPG
    366.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0793.JPG
    IMG_0793.JPG
    313.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0794.JPG
    IMG_0794.JPG
    304 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0795.JPG
    IMG_0795.JPG
    313.9 KB · Views: 104
Awesome find! Bendix automatic would be their 2-speed kickback hub. You pedal backwards about 1/4 turn and just before it brakes, it shifts between the two gears. Once you get them figured out, they're a lot of fun to ride. Give it a clean, cableless look too. Those hubs alone bring 75$ any day of the week so great pick :D

Wayne youre hired

As of today I have a proposition for....want to be my bike broker.
Where do you come up with these deals?
Eben without a tanklight that bike would look good in my collection. $30....what!!!
Im sure we could fabricate a tanklight for it.....lol
Actually ill bet this is a flightliner. Looks like the correct rack.
im using my phone so I can't blow up the pictures without loosing quality. What's the chain guard say?
Great find dude.
I always wanted to try the 2 speed hub. Three stripes is a bendix 2 speed. Good to know.
Actually o think I have a Bendix hub ident breakdown somewhere.
There is a yellow stripe too, I think. Need to look that one up.

Last edited:
jpromo & jd

jprome, thanks for the info on the hub. So, what is the hub on my Spaceliner, it has one red stripe?
jd, the chaingusrd says J.C.Higgins, and the downtube says Sport Flite.
It came with a brand new front tire, so I now have to replace the rear one. The guy I bought this from has to quickly move to San Francisco.
He also said has a '57 J.C.Higgins he wants to keep, but I think he should sell it to me.
Anyway, Thanks guys!
PS...jd, I like your recent purchases........Wayne

Single red band is just a standard single speed bendix hub. I can't remember what years they were made like that but I know the triple redband kickback was from '60-64. If you get a chance, I'd be curious to know what your rear tire is? I have mismatched ones on a Spaceliner I bought and wouldn't mind matching them up if you had a mate for either of the ones on there. Thanks much!

Adamtinkerer & jpromo

Adamtinkerer, do you have any idea what year this bike is?
jpromo, the rear tire that I want to remove is a "Semperit Cycle Rite".........Thanks guys..........Wayne

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong and I usually am but, isn't that a Murray Ohio bike?
The chainring says murray. I've always nbeen somewhat confused on the MO chain of bikes and the various labels put on them. I know it has to do with what retailer sold or carried the line.

Wayne,
list the serial number and if it is a Murray made bike, then we should be able to narrow the year for sure. It should be on the left rear dropout of the frame. Probable starts with a MO and a another letter or two and 6 or so digits i beleive.
Adam would know for sure but, I can attack it if you send the numbers.

great find dude, really nice....found me that Firebolt yet?

Sport Flite Serial number

The serial number is on the bottom of the hanger. Three lines of copy...
MOTS-?
MOD 502 47920
Please let me know what you find out.
Also, does the fact that it is on the hanger and not the rear drop out make it older?..........Thanks, Wayne

Not sure about the hanger ( I assume the crank underside ) location of the serial number.
MOT S looks like 1960
502 is a Sears retailer
The rest of the numbers would be the model number and parts index I beleive.

Adam or Phil would know for sure.

Back