When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see some late 70’s/early 80’s Cruisers and Spitfires

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So, what would be a correct fork for this?
1656289553704.png

Also, am I correct to believe April 1980?

1656289599812.png

Badge date is the 29th day of 1980. The Schwinn blade forks were last used or made sometime in 1982, I believe they were no longer after 1982 so the tube fork wouldn't be factory correct on that piece.

Badge date is the 29th day of 1980. The Schwinn blade forks were last used or made sometime in 1982, I believe they were no longer after 1982 so the tube fork wouldn't be factory correct on that piece.
That fork is off a China bike, I know it's wrong. It had a tange on it when I got it years ago, but harvested for a klunker build.

I figured a Schwinn blade but wasn't sure. Now to find one that I can afford.

Thank you.

BTW, back in the day, the spring fork was NOT a popular fork! Most people wanted the chrome tube forks like the Tange & Landing Gear, that is why Schwinn eventually discontinued the Deluxe Cruiser, then came out with a tube fork as OE on the Cruiser model for the 83 model year.
I'm liking the idea of a chrome tube fork for the Deluxe Cruiser.

Installed a repop springer on the Deluxe Cruiser that was from another Cruiser, it's a better quality one with the nylon bushings that actually works. Did switch around of parts on these three Cruisers today.

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

That fork is off a China bike, I know it's wrong. It had a tange on it when I got it years ago, but harvested for a klunker build.

I figured a Schwinn blade but wasn't sure. Now to find one that I can afford.

Thank you.
I see Cruiser forks pop up from time to time on ebay.

I have a NOS red one on the DOND forum, but I don't think that will be of interest to you? But I do have a black Cruiser Chain Guard if that is of interest to you?

That fender bridge was used with the 3 speed bikes that usually came with a rear caliper brake. It was introduced on the balloon Jaguar in late 1953 and was commonly fitted to 3 speed middleweights. But it was dropped after 1970, which was the last year for a 3 speed option on the Typhoon. When the Klunker 5 (1978) and Spitfire 5 were produced (1979) they still used the "single speed" U channel bracket.
I believe you're correct and the "3 speed" bracket was brought back for the Cruiser 5 in 1980, even though they continued to use the Atom drum brake for a while. Post #68 in this thread shows an early Cruiser 5 that had the single speed rear bracket, but most of the Cruiser 5's had the three speed bracket.
Not sure what was going on with Schwinn back then but I have a 74 HD with a brake bridge. In my collection, all original paint nothing pretty and all single speeds
Fender brace
72 Typhoon
73 HD
78 Spitfire

Brake bridge
74 HD
80 Cruiser deluxe
80 Cruiser
81 Cruiser
83 Cruiser

Not sure what was going on with Schwinn back then but I have a 74 HD with a brake bridge. In my collection, all original paint nothing pretty and all single speeds
Fender brace
72 Typhoon
73 HD
78 Spitfire

Brake bridge
74 HD
80 Cruiser deluxe
80 Cruiser
81 Cruiser
83 Cruiser
That is odd. I wouldn't have expected to see a brake bridge after 1970. I don't know if there was an advantage to building with one versus the other, but it would simplify production to settle on one design, especially since by '74 middleweights were just a fraction of Schwinn's total production.

Started the overhaul process on this one recently. Cleaned up pretty well. I should have taken some more before pictures. Going to add some original schwinn studded balloon gum wall tires and a seat that is in better condition.

View attachment 1653997

View attachment 1653998

View attachment 1653999

View attachment 1654000

View attachment 1654001

View attachment 1654002
Welcome to the Cabe and nice looking Cruiser! Most interesting is the badge date 3650, making it almost a New Years Eve baby!🍾🥂

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: mrg
Thanks Ron! This is my second post, but I’ve been lurking and admiring everyone else’s bikes for a few months. Definitely an interesting badge date. From what I’ve determined this would make it a Tuesday December 30th build due to 1980 being a leap year. Still very interesting considering the strike in late 1980.

Back