When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see some late 70’s/early 80’s Cruisers and Spitfires

-
I just wanted to check the date of the article @GTs58 posted. If the information is accurate, then it sounds like Schwinn didn't assemble bicycles after Nov. or Dec. 1982, which is news to me, but it could be. I've seen Schwinn-built frames with serial numbers as late as April 1983, but it hadn't occurred to me that they were just sending them to Murray for assembly. I posted the Sidewinder in this thread (post #28) -

I can't see anything that GT has posted because I blocked him a while back. I would assume you are referring to this article?

i be
You are right about the BS date being 81. Not sure how I made that mistake???? LOL

It is definitely a Murray frame, so at the very least it is late 83, 84, or 85 frame as indicated by the head badge. I guess it is just another one of those Schwinn anomalies that we need to figure out.

On another note, the seller is giving me a partial refund for the damaged crank on the bike. So does anyone have an 80's cruiser crank for sale?
this one has been on ebay for some time now i haven’t watched it but message the guy he seems nice the last time i conversated about a cruiser five frame he was selling but didn’t know it was one at first

BD370336-5C85-4441-A4AA-356FA24CDB91.png

4FA5D1BD-8FAD-4DBA-AA82-3F9791CE29B7.png

Got this 81 Schwinn girls cruiser this past summer, probably going to list it here. If it doesn't sell, will probably part it out. Fyi- also going to part out

the boys 81 Chestnut Cruiser Deluxe.

View attachment 1556662

View attachment 1556663

View attachment 1556664

View attachment 1556665

View attachment 1556666

View attachment 1556673

The blue cruiser is an 1980 per head badge. And unusual, as I've never seen one with that seat. The fenders are not Schwinn. They were Dealer add on by request, after market fenders B/C Schwinn wasn't making fenders for Cruisers at the time.

You Chestnut is weird, there ought to be a bit of the top bar decal, or repainted rattle can job. Also, a springer fork only came on a Cruiser deluxe. A little difficult to tell if that Springer is a Schwinn. But usual way without taking it off is; the pivot tube has somewhat sloppy welding. If it's welded smooth, electro forged VS weld then, it may be an aftermarket of mid 1990's China made Schwinn fork. Or aftermarket, who knows who, China made. Seat is not a cruiser saddle, and I doubt Schwinn used that at all.

Otherwise, both have good value for the parts on em whole or parted.

Last edited:
Looking at some of the first Schmurray's I know Schwinn produced parts for their Murray built bikes. I haven't come across one yet that had the Schwinn bottom bracket shell, or remember seeing one.

I've posted this before somewhere on the Cabe for the Cruiser crowd.

View attachment 1553777
I had a couple of Schmurrays, Good quality bikes.

Regarding the girl's cruiser, the serial number on the girls frame begins with CR, so I assumed it was an 81 and the badge # is 1220. Wouldn't that date it in 81 of August? I might have that wrong. Regarding the chestnut Cruiser Deluxe, it came from an estate sale where the owner bought it new at our old local Schwinn shop. He later changed the seat for comfort and replaced the tires so I doubt the springer was added later.

20220113_141050.jpg

Back