When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for info on my 1942 Snyder made Hawthorne

-

Scout Evans

Finally riding a big boys bike
I was complaining about not finding any old bikes here in Oahu, when this bike showed up on CL advertised as a 1941 Hawthorne. There was no original paint left at all, even the fork tube was sandblasted. I only saw a little of green way on the inside of the BB. The serial number IDs it as 1942. I thought bike production stopped sometime in 42 except for military bikes, and Snyder wasn't one of the three manufacturers. So I think this may be one of the last they made from parts they already had. The BB has a couple of blanks welded in for some reason. Maybe a scrap piece they made work to use everything they could? It didn't have any chrome, the handlebars and chainwheel are some kind of silver paint. The rear wheel isn't original, because it's a Bendix, which didn't come out until 1946, if I am right about that. I'm posting to see if anyone has better info than I do. My best guess is that this is a V 50 model.

DSCI0018.JPG

42548_dfcaa5fa48622a6c63bac75fee4bd386.jpg

Nice color that Hot Rod Black,the experts will likely want to see better pics of your bottom bracket joints, chain stay , seat & down tube, when we ID ed my snyder frame there was confusion as to it being a Columbia, and having the wrong forks,mine's around a 38-41 and I had to wind up dating it from a catalogue, been keeping my eyes open for three years for the right chain guard and forgot to bid last night because my niece is in from England, went for 42 smackers, welcome to the world of old bikes :)

Ben Hur.JPG

IMG_3863 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Back