When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for pics of modified BMX cruisers for mtb

-
Cool thread. I picked up this 26" Champion from the original owner who had built it into a MTB from day one. Cooks bars, Philwood hubs, Araya rims, TA cranks. Set up as a five speed but I can convert to a ten speed easily enough. Has cable guides, canti mounts, internal brake cable in top tube, built in seat post clamp. Also has water bottle mounts built into frame. Can't remember if he said the frame came this way to him or if he had it modified after purchase. He was the original owner, though. Lot of original 1980s history and I feel fortunate to have found it.

49525756538_bb8dd42478_b.jpg
1982 Champion by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

49526265631_b0cedbff98_b.jpg
1982 Champion by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

Cool thread. I picked up this 26" Champion from the original owner who had built it into a MTB from day one. Cooks bars, Philwood hubs, Araya rims, TA cranks. Set up as a five speed but I can convert to a ten speed easily enough. Has cable guides, canti mounts, internal brake cable in top tube, built in seat post clamp. Also has water bottle mounts built into frame. Can't remember if he said the frame came this way to him or if he had it modified after purchase. He was the original owner, though. Lot of original 1980s history and I feel fortunate to have found it.

View attachment 16707381982 Champion by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

View attachment 16707391982 Champion by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

Beautiful! This is exactly what I’m talking about. Also looks to have threaded inserts to mount a rear rack. Super cool, thanks for posting it up!

I saw the post on the BMX forum of this blue champ with original paint. The current owner knew it's history and had bought it from the original owner who bought it new as shown. His had the derailleur tab welded on the frame and the rear brake cable housing ending at a cable guide bolted to the seat post clamp. My champ uses a bolt on derailleur tab, but has has the cable stop as a braze on bridge. Since this blue Champion has such nice original paint with mods my guess is mine was modified after the original owner purchased it. Mine certainly has a 40 year old paint job, though, and white was a factory color. If anyone has more history on these Champion 26" MTB's please share it.
Paint can tell us so much about these original 26" Champions. It proves beyond a doubt an actual 80's frame verses one of the newer ones recently built from the old tubing. If you have original old paint on a frame NEVER restore it.

Hi Dizzle,
Just looked at the thread on the BMX Museum again. The owner of this blue bike said this:

Re: Original owner 26” Champion one off score​

I asked Konle about your frame tonight and he said it’s a true Champion. He said, “it’s a true one off” as they made very few of them with canti mounts, a built in seat clamp, a hole in the top tube for the brake cable and a derailer. That’s awesome to confirm what you have is a true factory champion 26” frame/fork.

Guess he is saying mine was set up by Champion back in the day. If so that would be very cool.

Last edited:
Back