When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mead Bicycles Made In Great Britain

-

Daniel Dahlquist

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Good Morning, I have been collecting bicycles for over thirty years now, and I have a special fondness for early Mead bicycles. As Mead enthusiasts knows, many of the components for the early Meads were English: mudguards, pedals, grips, etc. I recall seeing two Mead bicycles that were made in England on the CABE a few years back--these were rather typical rod brake bikes in black, if memory serves. I acquired a British-made "Mead Coventry Flyer" (circa 1910) not long ago, and I would like to get in touch with the owner(s) of the British Meads--or anyone else on the list who owns one of these English single or 3 speed Mead bicycles. Did Mead bicycles originate in England, or was the English Mead bicycle a branch of the American brand, etc.?

One last note concerning the ribs on the Mead forks--my 1910 Mead Coventry Flyer rob brake bicycle has ribs on the seat stays and the chain stays--but no ribs on the front fork! (I am in the process of having a missing rear fender made for the Mead, so no photo is available at present).

Welcome Daniel, I know you are a long time hobbyist!
Your input is most welcome by myself.

I own a handful of meads but none early enough to have many British components, I would also be interested in learning more about their British roots

Excellent--we will learn together. I have loved Meads for many years--the Golden Brown and Cream color is very appealing. I have also loved British rod brake bikes for a long time. Interesting note--I mentioned to an experienced seller once that I thought one could easily specialize in British rod brake bikes, and he responded by saying, "You know what you would have if you specialized in British rod brake bikes? A basement full of black bikes." (And he has a point. :)

Daniel, I have only recently purchased a few Mead bicycles, one of which I believe is early enough to be a healthy mix of English & US components.

I have a set of worse for wear fenders I planned on making available, perhaps they are of use to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back