When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Bike Day: Sixties Austrian Sears Three-Speed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

soddruntlestuntle

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Went to a local swap meet this morning where I had the pleasure of meeting up with fellow CABErs @KingSized HD and @Casual dreamer. Amongst all the model a fenders and muscle car parts we managed to come across a few vintage bike vendors, including a fellow whose inventory made yours truly quite envious. However his stock was priced definitely not to sell, and I think he was happy about that…

Anyway, tucked away in a corner I came across this sixties era three speed. Always had an affinity for these bikes, but never felt compelled to pull the trigger until now. Besides, the price was right, and who likes to leave a swap meet empty handed?

So I’m guess this is one of the Steyr-built Sears bikes, and if I’m reading the hub and the serial number correctly, it’s a ‘65. All original except for the tires. Brought it home, cleaned it up, put a few drops of lightweight oil in the hub, and some air in the tires, rides pretty damn nice for a lightweight. Already found a replacement gear change grip, just need a new seat.

IMG_0749.jpeg

IMG_0750.jpeg

IMG_0752.jpeg

IMG_0753.jpeg

IMG_0754.jpeg

IMG_0747.jpeg

Last edited:
-----

congratulations on finding a red one with its chainguard and mudguards present and in tact

much more common to find black ones which are absent their chainguards and mudguards

your dating looks on the button

the Weinmann brake calipers are a dating clue as well
the smooth rounded caliper arms were revised in '64 to the pattern exhibited on the bicycle with the markings in recessed rectangles

-----

Back