When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new schwinn collegiates

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Yes, the red one is a different bike. On a modern, department store bike, one-piece crank usually is not a good sign. It usually is reserved for cheaper bikes with lesser parts. I'm sure there are a few exceptions, but that's the general rule today. In the original Collegiate's time, the one-piece crank was kind of dated and heavy, but the bikes were solid enough. But in a big box store, circa 2020, one-piece crank is usually reserved for the low-end stuff. I'd save my $300 for a vintage Collegiate before going big box. You can sometimes still find them for well less than that.

Edit: I will add one thing - if the plan is to use the same badge or same transfers/logos on both the lower-end big box Collegiate and the higher-end US-made one, that seems like a mistake to me. If you're spending the big bucks on the better model, there needs to be all-around upgrades and clues as to the higher quality. Ford/GM did this for years with their Mercury/Buick and Lincoln/Cadillac cars. One of the things that killed Mercury was the gradual lack of identity, whereas in years past, the "higher" brands on the totem pole had their own perks that raise them above the base models. If you put the same badge, decals, and colors on the higher-end bike, you risk confusing your lower end offerings and the higher ones. The idea is to show they're related, but certainly not the same thing. (End editorial).

Last edited:
Yes, the red one is a different bike. On a modern, department store bike, one-piece crank usually is not a good sign. It usually is reserved for cheaper bikes with lesser parts. I'm sure there are a few exceptions, but that's the general rule today. In the original Collegiate's time, the one-piece crank was kind of dated and heavy, but the bikes were solid enough. But in a big box store, circa 2020, one-piece crank is usually reserved for the low-end stuff. I'd save my $300 for a vintage Collegiate before going big box. You can sometimes still find them for well less than that.

Edit: I will add one thing - if the plan is to use the same badge or same transfers/logos on both the lower-end big box Collegiate and the higher-end US-made one, that seems like a mistake to me. If you're spending the big bucks on the better model, there needs to be all-around upgrades and clues as to the higher quality. Ford/GM did this for years with their Mercury/Buick and Lincoln/Cadillac cars. One of the things that killed Mercury was the gradual lack of identity, whereas in years past, the "higher" brands on the totem pole had their own perks that raise them above the base models. If you put the same badge, decals, and colors on the higher-end bike, you risk confusing your lower end offerings and the higher ones. The idea is to show they're related, but certainly not the same thing. (End editorial).
Oh, you're thinking there are two different collegiate bikes being made right now and one is more of the hand-made one ($$$$) and the other is the cheaper big box store one ($$)?

I'm wondering if the plan is to launch a couple of lines - keep going with the big box Schwinn that we've seen over the past few years, and then offer a higher-end, "Made in USA" line for the boutique buyer. Ideally, you'd transition the "Schwinn" name away from big box and onto the higher-end bikes, but up until now, the trend by the parent company has been to produce Schwinns as a big box offering that is in the middle of big box prices (though on the low end if you include bike shops). They periodically would do this before - you'd see big box Schwinn bikes, and then bikes that were higher end like the Deluxe 7 speed cruisers.

Oh, you're thinking there are two different collegiate bikes being made right now and one is more of the hand-made one ($$$$) and the other is the cheaper big box store one ($$)?

YES............

$249

$999

Back