When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn 1985 (but maybe a 1986) Traveler...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
OK, just picked this one up. Photos as purchased and brought home.
Had a dry spell for awhile, and I needed something to work on. And when this came up at $60 I jumped on it, of course. Do I need it? No, of course not! But... my size frame :tonguewink:

Head badge shows and end of year build in 1985, but the decals say 1986 (also this has downtube shifters). 1987 had downtube shifters, but made into the frame, not a clamp- on like this one. Transition, I guess...?? Overall, the bike appears to be 100% original, right down to the Schwinn Record tires that still hold air.

Rear rack should clean up, and it also has a Cateye Speedometer...side mirror (that's coming off!!) and a water bottle holder. So let the cleanup begin in the next few days!! :cool:

IMG_1688.jpeg

IMG_1689.jpeg

IMG_1690.jpeg

IMG_1691.jpeg

IMG_1693.jpeg

IMG_1694.jpeg

IMG_1695.jpeg

IMG_1696.jpeg

IMG_1697.jpeg

IMG_1698.jpeg

Last edited:
Harpo, that will clean up nicely, can’t wait to see the finished product. Personally I am not a fan of those racks, I think the bikes look faster/ better without them but thats just me. Enjoy the process I know you will make it look great. Tim

@Tim s I don't like them either, and I don't use them for the same reasons. They are functional, but I'll clean it up anyway just to have it. :)

@HARPO, that will clean up nicely. I had one I picked up for $50 in 2016 from a CL ad, determined it to be an '86/87 based on SN and headbadge though the paint job was a close match for yours. After cleanup and refub it proved to be a very handsome ride and my airport bike for several years. I sold it last year during the Covid bike boom, I've gravitated to taller bikes over time.

As found (no idea why the last owner thought wheel covers would make this a hot rod)
TV-Orig-Sm.jpg

After refurb:
TV-Refurb-SM.jpg

@PfishB Beautiful job! And yours had the better brake levers, making the bike look less "cheap".

I pulled out the saddle stem...and it looks like a bear chewed on it. Last person went round and round with it without using WD-40 to get it out and gouged the heck out of it. I might see what I can do to make it better, or check my Stash for one the same size.

Thanks, really all I did was clean off the crud and switch out a few bits. I sympathize on the seat post - I've had quite a few show up with the tell-tale zig-zag scratches, some really deep. Sometimes some wet sanding with progressive grits followed by a bench buffing session can pretty them up, sometimes not.

All done...but not a crazy detailing. It's needing new tires. (I saw a few splits that I hadn't noticed earlier on). Took it for a quick spin anyway and was impressed on how nicely it rode and shifted. Worth the $60 for sure!

I removed the rack and changed out the water bottle holder to a black one. The blue will go to my "collection" of them. I left the Cateye unit on and will see about getting a battery for it. I have a few from other bikes in a container, but never used one before. I'll see. Also put the kickstand back on the way it was intended to be on. There was a plate made onto the frame to just place the bolt through and not have a top plate ruining the paint. Hope the Dealer didn't do this back then...

Anyway...on to the next"find"! :tonguewink:

IMG_1709.jpeg

IMG_1710.jpeg

IMG_1711.jpeg

IMG_1712.jpeg

IMG_1713.jpeg

IMG_1714.jpeg

IMG_1715.jpeg

IMG_1716.jpeg

IMG_1717.jpeg

IMG_1720.jpeg

IMG_1721.jpeg