When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn D-12? Correct parts questions

-
No, it’s definitely silver paint. It’s really odd

You should see my Black impact socket set I got from Harbor Freight. I did the same thing to the socket size engravings so I could see the damn markings. Brush paint the stampings/indentations, let it dry a wee bit and gently wipe it down with a thinner dampened tee shirt.

And shucky darn, I lost ten bucks. ;) I missed that 52 A serial number by only 2000 or so stampings. Still hard to believe your badge hole spacing is the old 2 1/4" on a Sept 53 SN'd frame. I have no idea why Schwinn would have a double standard on the screw hole spacing, really odd unless somehow that is a 52. This sweet 53 Hornet, an example, shows the large oval. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/for-sale-1953-schwinn-hornet-485.146889/ Did the seller re-drill the head tube when he added the truss rods? Anyway, the truss rods could have been ordered from the factory on that bike. Sweet B-12!

Oh......... Give me a heads up if you're removing and tossing the truss rods.

You should see my Black impact socket set I got from Harbor Freight. I did the same thing to the socket size engravings so I could see the damn markings. Brush paint the stampings/indentations, let it dry a wee bit and gently wipe it down with a thinner dampened tee shirt.

And shucky darn, I lost ten bucks. ;) I missed that 52 A serial number by only 2000 or so stampings. Still hard to believe your badge hole spacing is the old 2 1/4" on a Sept 53 SN'd frame. I have no idea why Schwinn would have a double standard on the screw hole spacing, really odd unless somehow that is a 52. This sweet 53 Hornet, an example, shows the large oval. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/for-sale-1953-schwinn-hornet-485.146889/ Did the seller re-drill the head tube when he added the truss rods? Anyway, the truss rods could have been ordered from the factory on that bike. Sweet B-12!

Oh......... Give me a heads up if you're removing and tossing the truss rods.
Interesting and good info either way. I am going to remove the truss rods, but won’t be tossing them, lol. I plan to sell them since they are so clean. Pm me if you are interested. Thank you for all the info.

Here’s my D-13 with truss rods and fender light.

8F325C91-2C8D-43E6-986D-81F85433F802.jpeg

I had a 51 D-12 with skiptooth sweetheart chainring and ND mod D hub. Second pic is how I got it. Replaced damaged fenders with correct green fenders with t-rod dimples and holes for light, so now I'm building a D-13! Since I had to replace the rims, I got some painted S2 rims. I drilled them and the hubs out for the 11g chrome spokes. Added truss rods and Delta light. Since the wheels were now beefier looking with those stout spokes, I put on a pair Deli 26 x 2.35 tires for a more muscular look. These tires are a real bargain on eBay-usually less than $50 a pair and free shipping. They also ride really nice-added feature is no reflective stripes or lettering. Had a brown saddle but the black one looks better and is in better shape, so running with that. Will be listing for sale by the end of the week.

IMG_2186.JPG

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (4).jpg

thumbnail (5).jpg

thumbnail (7).jpg

thumbnail (8).jpg

thumbnail (9).jpg

I have an Admiral badged 1947 D-12 with the same screw spacing. My Packard badged 1951 had the same spacing, but the screws broke off so drilled new holes & tapped for a large Schwinn badge.
A01727E0-131D-4052-AD33-B5CD05DFDED6.jpeg

61DF2A5B-CA21-42EB-8D93-77B49F0E5887.jpeg

And chrome rims. So the D-13 was a mid road price model?
Weird thing about these bikes...chrome rims were an option on these, so was a 1/2 inch drivetrain over the skip tooth setup. What are the chances I would land up with two 1950 straightbars, same color and chrome S-2 rims?

Back