When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn DX... I think?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

GTV

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hoping the experts here can tell me exactly what this old frame is. Badge holes are vertical and 2 3/16" apart.
IMG_3492.JPG
IMG_3493.JPG
IMG_3494.JPG
IMG_3495.JPG

Please share how you know this! I'm fairly well versed on the post war to mid 60's stuff, but pre war is new to me.

Ahh, good to know. I figured it was a 40 or a 41 but I never spotted the differences in the down tube. Under my ownership this frame is destined to become a "traditional" 1975-ish period correct coaster brake klunker. I've started acquiring a few parts, I'll turn this into the build thread...

Thank you for the help!

Totally true, just didn't explain it as clear as I should have. I have had many a schwinn wearing different head badges. Thank you for clarifying that point further. Didn't want to cause any confusion.
Cool

Thanks for the info fellas. Lately I've been focused on building a new commuter bike (1983 Schwinn World) but this bike is on deck.

As I mentioned I have been collecting parts. I'm aware that these bikes came with a variety of headbadges, and since my bike didn't have one it really leaves only one choice for a klunker, Excelsior. The obiqutous Morrow hub has also landed, and a ridiculously long exerciser seat post. The crank/bb came from the same bike as the badge, supposedly a '37. I absolutely love old Schwinn's, but I can not stand the four leaf clover chain ring. I also want this bike to be more versatile (single track, etc.) than just ripping downhill, so I needed better/shorter gearing. I was on the lookout for a child's 18t chain ring, and this is what I recently found. Not sure what it is from, but it's reasonably good looking and will get the gearing (1.8:1) where I need it to be.

As you can see the plan is very traditional mid 70's, but making it a better all around mountain bike will warrant a few changes, I'd love to hear your suggestions. The chainring is of course one. A Brooks B72 was the saddle of choice back in the day, but there's no way I could pedal for very long with that Lay-Z-Boy under me. So I'll need a slightly narrower Brooks, hopefully still sprung? The huge cruiser bars will also be a no-go, but I'm not really sure what will work. I want something much narrower, and period correct. Pedals with more grip as well. Vintage BMX?? I imagine I suppose I'll try to find an original stem and front hub, or should I go high flange? The hardest part to track down will be an original prewar fork with truss rods. I've been looking for months with zero luck....

The biggest, and probably the most subtle change will be wheels. I will convert it to 650b/27.5. It should make for a very fun rig. I'm hoping to have it ready for SSUSA in Bellingham this July, but that might be a little too ambitious. I'm considering building it up as it is, then tearing it down and restoring the frame at a later date.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Especially on how do I get that damn old seat post out???

IMG_3537.JPG

IMG_3538.JPG

IMG_3539.JPG

IMG_3541.JPG

IMG_3540.JPG

Back