When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, ya say ya wanna sell a Klunker...

-
Kind of wonder about the market for custom-made bikes.
If the customer doesn't know what custom parts that they want, then maybe they would be better satisfied with an economical Walmart bike?
If the customer does know what parts that they want, then perhaps they might buy the parts and build the bike by themselves?

There are a lot of people that think they are not mechanically inclined enough to do so, or may be convinced that learning how is too much effort. I love changing their minds and getting them hooked in the hobby.

Putting a price on a klunker is like pricing vintage bmx stuff.its the value of the individual parts.as most high end bmx bikes are custom builds from parts anyway.yes there are some that came complete, but go get the most money even og complete bikes have to be broke down to sell.its not like a bluebird,autocycle or something like that where a complete original is what everyone wants.most buyers and sellers of the desirable stuff go off of sold listings on ebay history to get a value on parts.unless you are a well known builder whos builds are desired or when it comes from a sponsored rider or company owner and hard to get,its tough to get good money on a build.sometimes you will get an interest in a bike you have thats not for sale.that is another way you can get decent money for a complete.that is my honest opinion opinion on values based on what ive seen and delt with.

(quote) How the heck do you arrive at a value on something like that?

Please understand for a moment when you say "Klunker" I'm thinking Schwinn's spelling of the actual "Clunker" spelling, confusing to me.

These "Clunkers" are like Art, some see them as a bucket of bolts, as others see them as a Masterpiece. They are personal creations, the value is in the parts, no one ever seems to pay for your time. But those that appreciate them, understand their Value and will pay the $$ if it's what they desire.
I also think of the real "Klunkers".......

SCHWINN KLUNKER 5  1.jpg

42 autocycle wrote:

All I can say is ... Better lucky than good!

It makes me think about all the people I've met from ad's on craig's list that REALLY want to buy some cool widget from me (mostly vintage bike parts) and HAMMER me on the price! And... I tell them to go pack sand!
I even had one guy swivel then sit down on the ground to pull off his right shoe... To get the extra "Bengi" he needed for the sale! 🤣

Soon after, I had seen him boasting about his "find" here on the CABE! LOL

I'm always amused by the Craigslist currency exchange rate in emails, all-caps 'CASH' is apparently worth significantly more than lower-case 'cash'... ;)

Back