When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steel Wool too light for Chrome?

-
Take a new chrome part and rub it with some 0000 steel wool and you'll see that it will dull the chrome. I dulled the heck out of a newly rechromed front bumper just by scrubbing bugs off of it with one of those material meshed sponges that's used to clean windshields.

I thought I might be some kind of hack artist using SOS pads, I see I'm not alone. Seems to me soapy fresh SOS pads lubricate the steel wool very well and they do not scratch up chrome.

Does anyone know what grade the steel wool is on a SOS pad?

Don't know the grade, but I've seen your step-by-step tutorial on a restoration, and you're no hack, that's for sure!!!!!!

I use coarse bronze wool and WD40, followed by a rag and Simichrome. A brass bristle brush is an alternative to bronze wool. Smaller stuff can be done with an oxalic acid bath.

Just use Evap-O-Rust.
Before and After soaking in evaporust for 24 hours.
100_3428.JPG
100_3469.JPG
image_23700.jpg

Nice results Evans200, but Evaporust is expensive. Citric Acid is much cheaper, works just as well, won't leave the yellow residue that Oxalic Acid does, and not harmful to breathe like Oxalic Acid is.

Last edited:
Nice results Evans200, but Evaporust is expensive. Citric Acid is much cheaper, works just as well, won't leave the yellow residue that Oxalic Acid does, and not harmful to breathe like Oxalic Acid is.
I agree with the costs, but the results are amazing. I will try Citric Acid sometime. Never tried OA, but Evaporust leaves no residue, is odorless, and safe on skin. Don't think I'll ever use OA.

Steel wool will scratch chrome, it doesn't matter if it's 0000 or not.
This could be the problem the original post is asking about... If you are really going to town with a lot of pressure you can be dulling the chrome.
It may look really good when you have some dull chrome next to rust, your thinking this is working great. Than you put your freshly scrubbed chrome up against nice original chrome and it doesn't look so shiny anymore... Brass is the way to go. All of the big box stores sell brass brushes near their welding stuff but they are expensive. I usually find them cheap at Tractor Supply, Big Lots, Dollar Tree, Etc.

Post 21:
Take a new chrome part and rub it with some 0000 steel wool and you'll see that it will dull the chrome. I dulled the heck out of a newly rechromed front bumper just by scrubbing bugs off of it with one of those material meshed sponges that's used to clean windshields.

Excerpt from post 28:
Steel wool will scratch chrome, it doesn't matter if it's 0000 or not.
It may look really good when you have some dull chrome next to rust, your thinking this is working great. Than you put your freshly scrubbed chrome up against nice original chrome and it doesn't look so shiny anymore.

My Opinion:
IT'S TIME TO RETHINK ADVISING THE USE OF STEEL WOOL ON GOOD CHROME!!!

Last edited:
Back