When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The CABE CONFESSIONAL Bike Skeletons in the Closet - Share Your Tragic Bicycle Decisions, Regrets

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Back in the day, when Olympic Coatings was about a block from my house, I would take every straightbar frame I found over to get electrostatic/powder coated.
It was thick and looked like it was dipped in plastic.
You could practically hit with a hammer, and it wouldn’t even chip.
We all thought it was the ultimate.
I cringe now, about all those somewhat decent original paint bikes that I demo’d over at Del Ray Chrome and Olympic Coatings.
I miss Mark at Olympic, haven't been there for years

Patina'd bikes are now in fashion. 40 years ago if a bike wasn't an 8/10.....it went to the sandblaster and what was left started over as a restored bike. Many marginally decent bikes or in some cases if you wanted a unique color-off it went to the sandblaster! Noone thought much about it then-bikes were plentiful and cheap. This was a golden era for bicycle restorations. Guys like Bob-U and Kid Dean had way more work than they could handle! The patina'd bikes we covet nowadays weren't held in high regard back then.

When Tony Henkels made the Schwinn motorbike wing decals for the first time in the early 80's I took a Ranger apart and had it repainted as a Schwinn-just to have a freshly restored Schwinn motorbike. Prior to this there were no decals available! Lots of Rangers met this fate.......
There likely has been many Ranger sacrifices to the Schwinn altar.
We thank thee for your contribution to this thread Tyler...

Oh you're talking about the 85 Californian Mongoose I inherited from my older brother and then traded it for a bag of weed and... I poop you not... a twelve pack of Red dog. Worth a little more than that these days.
You know, sometimes a trade makes sense at that moment in time.

In looking at the first photograph in this post, I am reminded of a trade I made on the fly. There is a '67 VW bus reflected in the freshly chromed tank. That was the 2nd vehicle I owned as a youngster, it was cut for Baja style back wheels, rusted with a gutted interior. I soon bought a much nicer '67 bus and while living in Belmont Shore I owned both of them at the same time briefly. Parking pressures motivated me to sell the first one as quickly as possible, but nobody was buying, so I traded it for a case of Heineken if it could be removed that day.

The beer was delivered cold. No poop here either!

Back