When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "HOLY GRAIL" of Schwinn MTB frames!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Xlobsterman

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I just acquired this ultra rare NOS Schwinn MTB frame & fork in the original box with the brake set and headset! These were issued before Schwinn actually sold a complete mountain bike. They were sold as frame sets ONLY, and were listed only in the 1983 dealer catalog. So I am assuming it was a one year only model? The frame was made in Japan, and I am assuming it was made by the Panasonic Bike Company for Schwinn.

I like the old school decals on it.
Unfortunate about the upside down head badge(You had one job!). Looks like it's riveted on.
Great find!

I love the upside down head badge, it gives it its own uniqueness! But knowing how the Japanese pride themselves in producing high quality products with attention to detail, it is hard to see how it made it past the "Quality Control" final inspection that way?

Nice color, nice frame set. It could be the badge made it a "second" so it stayed in the box in storage rather than being sold. If it's a Panasonic, the frame will be pretty good, but all the better if it turned out to be a Bridgestone with that serial number.

There's a funny scene in Back to the Future III where Marty and Doc Brown are trying to fix the Delorean time machine in the mine in 1955. 1955 Doc finds the toasted part and says, no wonder it broke - it says 'Made in Japan'. 1985 Marty says, "What do you mean? All the best stuff is Made in Japan!".

Last edited:
Whoa!!! Amazing find! That frame bears some resemblance to the '84 Sierra and High Sierra frames made by Giant in Taiwan, though they were tig'd. (bottom bracket cable guide, rear rack/brake cable attachment). Are you going to build it up or keep it NOS?

Nice color, nice frame set. It could be the badge made it a "second" so it stayed in the box in storage rather than being sold. If it's a Panasonic, the frame will be pretty good, but all the better if it turned out to be a Bridgestone with that serial number.

There's a funny scene in Back to the Future III where Marty and Doc Brown are trying to fix the Delorean time machine in the mine in 1955. 1955 Doc finds the toasted part and says, no it broke - it says 'Made in Japan'. 1985 Marty says, "What do you mean? All the best stuff is Made in Japan!".

I am not aware of Bridgestone ever building frames or bikes for Schwinn?

I purchased the frame from someone who just purchased a bunch of bikes from a bike shop that recently closed up! They had a few bikes posted for sale, with a couple that were NOS in the box, so I sent them a PM asking what they had. They replied that they had a frame that was still in the box, so I requested pics, they sent the pics, and the rest is history..............!

Whoa!!! Amazing find! That frame bears some resemblance to the '84 Sierra and High Sierra frames made by Giant in Taiwan, though they were tig'd. (bottom bracket cable guide, rear rack/brake cable attachment). Are you going to build it up or keep it NOS?

No intention of building it up! My main intention was for a wall hanger! But then I got to thinking this may be pretty valuable since it is a pretty rare find NOS in the original box?

Back