When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Schwinn Dixie Dreamcycle: My Entry for the 16th Annual Rat Rod Bikes Build Off

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Added a second coat of filler primer. This time, I laid it on a little thicker in most spots, and stupid thick where the knot was, as it wasn't filling up to my liking. I've got the snail fan blowing on it to help it dry faster, so I can sand out all the rough spots.
20210904_151811-jpg.jpg

Okay, I severely underestimate just how long this filler primer needs to dry before I can sand it. It tends to peel off like clay if I have a lot of filler in a spot. I was genuinely hoping that I'd have this tank fully painted, and this bike mostly assembled by now, but now it looks like this tank will take all of tonight and tomorrow to get done. So... yeah. That's not good.

Also realized that Dad and I forgot to plug a few threaded holes on the frame and fork last night before we powder coated everything. Probably means I'm going to have to... persuade... some bolts and screws to go into their respective places. Once again, it seems the worst problems like to show up at the last minute.

Ok, yesterday was a disaster, but I might still be able to submit a "finished" thread before time is up. Here's the plan: I'm going to first run around town to find all my finished photo locations, since I kind of forgot where they all are, and because today is the only day of the week when it's "free to park" anywhere in downtown Tulsa. After that, I'll grab a few parts at Lowe's or whatever, and just try to have the bike fully assembled, tank or no tank, in time to shoot photos on Monday. There is NO WAY this bike will be rideable, but at least it'll look good enough on camera. (I don't know if I'll be disqualified from voting due to my bike being inoperable, though. If that's against the rules, please let me know.) If, however, I can't get this bike put together in time, then I'm just going to let it be. Yeah, it'll kill my mood, but it won't be like I can't fix it and do it right later.

What are you using for primer? Check your mixing amounts. Always strain. If there are chunks in the strainer primer might be dead. Looks like it is drying before it hits the surface. Use a lower pressure and get a bit closer. What is temperature? If hot maybe thing a bit with Acetone. Always try a sprayout before aiming at your parts. Adjust your gun and primer first. It can be frustrating but easier than not having the primer go on correctly where it counts.
Worst problems can show up at the end. After all the other worst problems during the entire process!

Well after eight pages did it happen?
No. I ended up making a few mistakes and ran into a ton of problems trying to get the bike built by the September 6th deadline. I'm going to have to sandblast and powder coat some parts all over again. I'm still working on the bike, but I'm going to slow down and take my time with it.

What are you using for primer? Check your mixing amounts. Always strain. If there are chunks in the strainer primer might be dead. Looks like it is drying before it hits the surface. Use a lower pressure and get a bit closer. What is temperature? If hot maybe thing a bit with Acetone. Always try a sprayout before aiming at your parts. Adjust your gun and primer first. It can be frustrating but easier than not having the primer go on correctly where it counts.
Worst problems can show up at the end. After all the other worst problems during the entire process!
I just used some rattle can filler primer, maybe rustoleum? I don't have a paint gun or anything fancy like that.

Back