When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOC aster motor pacer stayer steher gangmaker derny project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
thanks,i love this topic and of course its like every new pic or article is like opening a present at xmas.......my favorite kind too since each piece brings more questions.......its funny to me that the subject of pacers and stayers isnt more well known, its a real important/exciting time in history let alone bicycle/motorcycle history

thanks again to everyone for posting and finding these pics or articles.......and to those who are just watching and learning like myself

stayer ag1.jpg
stayer ag.jpg
stayer fr.jpg

yep thats aster motor pacer........i have this pic in my collection........heres something absolutely baffling to me about the pacer pictured in the ad

check out the rear riders sprocket arrangement........either there is something missing or something fantastic happening......theres a sprocket in between the drive that seems to be sitting there held onto nothing but the support of the chain on either side......no shaft,its just "free"

yep thats aster motor pacer........i have this pic in my collection........heres something absolutely baffling to me about the pacer pictured in the ad

check out the rear riders sprocket arrangement........either there is something missing or something fantastic happening......theres a sprocket in between the drive that seems to be sitting there held onto nothing but the support of the chain on either side......no shaft,its just "free"

That's called a Ghost Sprocket.....a little trick I learned about over on Rat Rod Bikes. The same forces act equally on both the top and bottom of the sprocket and as long as the chain is tight it will rotate in place. It can be used as a tensioner or just a way to allow the chainline to "bend" around an obstacle.

i love it! i might replicate one of the bikes pictured on the first few pages of this thread with the "ghost" sprocket......thank you so much for the info ceebee i will see about getting some more info on this......with this thread every bit of information is pure gold to me

That's called a Ghost Sprocket.....a little trick I learned about over on Rat Rod Bikes. The same forces act equally on both the top and bottom of the sprocket and as long as the chain is tight it will rotate in place. It can be used as a tensioner or just a way to allow the chainline to "bend" around an obstacle.

$_57hgf  copy.jpg

$_57hgf.jpg

===========================
===========================

so sweet!!!.........i think my/our pacer will have to copy one of the "ghost sprocket" bikes

so what i believe is the ghost sprocket was used as a crude compensator,the motors were known to missfire or on a early cycle the bumps in a road would disrupt the action of the drive/chain......so snapped chains were apparently a problem.........the ghost would i guess allow a up down leniency to the drives/chains

oscar hedstrom was a pioneer coming up with the ring compression type compensator but not on the earliest indians.......he also pioneered the carburetor of the era that worked with great success

thanks again for all the input guys

Back