When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage English Rocket

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This 'Rocket' brand doesn't ever seem to have been sold in England.
I believe the successor to the G. Joannou Cycle Co. is 'Jamis' cycles and is still in existence.
Could be worth any of you 'Rocket' owners above reaching out to them.
As @Oilit states, the frame construction could be key to the original manufacturers.

Overhaul it clean it up put some nice tires on it and ride the wheels off it .
Will probably only last you 50 years
The headlight bracket underneath the headlight is worth 10 bucks .
Also front fork is probably correct extra room is for the fender .
Chain ring and front fork look like Hercules and a lot of other British bikes .

hello everyone sorry took me so long but this is my England rocket I hope this helps its more complete and maybe will help with figuring out this rocket tires have never been replaced since I got it.

IMG_7781.JPG
IMG_7787.JPG
IMG_7778.JPG
IMG_9600.JPG
IMG_7793.JPG
OVIR8648.JPG
IMG_7779.JPG

Wow! That's survived in really nice shape, the chrome is good and it even has most of the original decals, which for a bike from the '50's is not common. It was made before TI bought Raleigh and merged everything, that design is all Birmingham. (Raleigh was based in Nottingham.) I've never seen that headlight before, that's just killer cool!
This is probably one of the bikes that Monark imported before Huffy bought them, the wording on that TI decal is exactly the same as the Monark ad. Huffy bought Monark at the end of 1957, so I'm guessing your bike is '57 or a year or two earlier. Your rear hub is probably a Sturmey-Archer, and the date the hub was made should be stamped under the logo, which will get you close on the year of the bike.
This is the hub on a Schwinn Traveler, made in October 1953:

IMG_3527_Cropped.png

Last edited:
-----

thanks very much for sharing your example rocketlover

its wonderful that it is so complete and all original

you might wish to consider straightening the drive side crank arm; it appears to have been bent inward in an event of some sort...

should you be doing a disassembly for cleaning and lubrication you might wish to perform an alignment check at the same time; a kinetic force adequate to bend the crank arm may have put the frame out of alignment as well...

-----

Last edited:
Looking at that light again, I can see the "Miller" logo stamped on top of the shell, but that doesn't look like a standard Miller lens. That may be a lens off a car or who knows what that just happened to (sorta) fit. A lot can happen to a bike in 60-odd years. Still kinda cool though.

Last edited:
Miller also made motorcycle stuff too.
Could be off of a small motorcycle/moped?
Does look more like a car front direction indicator lens on reflection though.

Looking at that light again, I can see the "Miller" logo stamped on top of the shell, but that doesn't look like a standard Miller lens. That may be a lens off a car or who knows what that just happened to (sorta) fit. A lot can happen to a bike in 60-odd years. Still kinda cool though.
Looking at the lens itself in closer detail, it does actually bear the legend 'LUCAS'.
I'm convinced it's a car front direction indicator/ front side light lens from the 1950s/60s.

Back