Welcome to the tricycle forum

This ad disappears when logged in

kreika

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Dec 7, 2016
Santa Cruz
Thank you so much! I saved this tricycle from my great-uncle's estate auction. I am hoping somebody can help identify it for me and advise me what to do with the pedal and general care. I have no idea if it is valuable, beyond the sentimental gem it is to my heartstrings.
View attachment 683339 View attachment 683341 View attachment 683340

View attachment 683342

View attachment 683343
Welcome to the Cabe! Love those last two pics. Wide open country. Hard to see in pics but there should be rods going through those pedal blocks. They may be threaded on the ends. Find some rusty old nuts that fit. Good to go. If not one of those slotted circular washer that you push over a rod with out threads. It's priceless cause of family connections. Looks great where it is. Enjoy!!!

Amber Boedeker

On Training Wheels
Aug 26, 2017
Clarence, IA, United States
Thank you!!! I’ll have to take a closer picture of rods. I don’t want to hurt anything.

Do you know anything about the tricycle itself?

And we are blessed to live on 18 acres out in the middle of God’s countryside.

kreika

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Dec 7, 2016
Santa Cruz
Thank you!!! I’ll have to take a closer picture of rods. I don’t want to hurt anything.

Do you know anything about the tricycle itself?

And we are blessed to live on 18 acres out in the middle of God’s countryside.
No I'm sorry I don't know the make. Maybe Murray? It looks well loved..... so probably not worth a whole lot. Hopefully someone knowledgeable about trikes will chime in. It doesn't look like the exotic 30's trikes. Probably from the late 40's or 50's??? It'd look great in a corner or yard art? You could restore it but that may cost more than it's worth. Keep it as is, put it somewhere cool and pay respects to great uncle when you see it. :)

ridingtoy

I live for the CABE
Apr 7, 2010
Leonardtown, United States
Hi Amber, what you have is a Hedstrom made tricycle, probably dating somewhere in the later 1930s/very early 1940s. The teardrop shaped openings in the rear step plate are a design unique to Hedstrom trikes during that period. Is the Hedstrom name stamped into the rear hubcaps? Looks like something is stamped into the metal in the one photo, but maybe its just a scuff or dent. Hope that helps a little with your research.

Dave

Last edited:

Amber Boedeker

On Training Wheels
Aug 26, 2017
Hi Amber, what you have is a Hedstrom made tricycle, probably dating somewhere in the later 1930s/very early 1940s. The teardrop shaped openings in the rear step plate are a design unique to Hedstrom trikes during that period. Is the Hedstrom name stamped into the rear hubcaps? Looks like something is stamped into the metal in the one photo, but maybe its just a scuff or dent. Hope that helps a little with your research.

Dave
Dave! You're amazing. On the right rear hubcap I can make out a cursive imprint of "rom" so that has to be it! Thank you so much! I will continue my hunt and let you know if I find anything else.

Amber Boedeker

On Training Wheels
Aug 26, 2017
Ha! Right now it's on my front porch. It fits in beautifully with our old farmhouse. I have warned my 5 children if anybody rides it...they may experience trauma caused by their ridiculously sentimental mama. Nothing like displaying a toy and telling your children NOT TO PLAY with it! I have my grandfather's old John Deere pedal tractor that I have given the same warning to my kids as well. It's been fully restored and is gorgeous, but that seems to have made it that much more precious to me! Agh. I'm a sucker for historical personal gems.

ridingtoy

I live for the CABE
Apr 7, 2010
Leonardtown, United States
I was thinking it was missing the fender as well. V/r Shawn
You know, that's a good question. There's an old photo on tricyclefetish of a little girl riding a fenderless front wheel Minuteman and the oldbike.eu site shows an old ad from the 1930s with a small fendered Minuteman. I'm thinking it should have had one of the fender styles and maybe the photo from tricyclefetish shows another one that had the fender removed at a later date.

Dave

51a1_1.JPG

1937-Hedstrom-Minuteman-Tricycle-11.jpg

BobbyG

On Training Wheels
Oct 7, 2018
Minnsota, USA
I am wanting to restore a Gambles Tricycle. I am looking for parts for it. All 3 tires are shot and the rear wheel bushings are shot. The front bearings are still good. I was hoping to either find replacements for the rear wheels and tires or looking for advice on how to replace the rear wheel bushings and wheel hubs where the bushings are inserted. The rear tires are 73/4 " x 1 1/2" and the rims are a 5" diameter. The front tire is 11 1/2" x 1 1/2" tire on a 9" rim. Front and rear axle shafts are 7/16" diameters. I am also looking for pedals 3" on 7/16" shaft.
I can barely make out the Gambles Logo with a magnifying glass. I found a photo of the logo but I cannot get a good enough image of it. I wanted to find a good image and give it to a decal or graphics company to duplicate it. It also does not have the rear axle caps and I do not know if those were Murray caps or not.

20180924_194923.jpg

20180924_194943.jpg

20180924_194957.jpg

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
$5.00
eBay Auction Picture
$12.00
eBay Auction Picture
$45.00
eBay Auction Picture
$32.88