When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western Flyer Bicycle, or not?

-

Bicyclepop

On Training Wheels
I recently came across a 26" Western Flyer bicycle that is seemingly the genuine article. After conducting some research, I've come.to learn that identifying.what I now possess can be difficult in determining exactly what I have. I also found that during the 90's a company began producing duplicate Western Flyer models, and people are trying to pass them off as originals. I was given the bicycle, so am not a victim of a bad purchase.The only markings I find is a sticker on the frame below the handlebar, which indicates "Circa 1950." Although I am not proficient in identifying specifics about bicyxles, I have worked.witb mechanical items for more than 50 yrars, and this bicycle seems to be the genuine article. If so, could someone tell me what I actually have. It is a Woman's style frame with the carrying rack on the rear fender. The seat and paint colors are most definitely original. Even though a women's frame, it does have a tank. This I do not find on replica models. The only part missing is the headlight, which can be purchased on ebay priced between $100 and $230. Please offer your professional opinion.

20201007_115617.jpg

20201007_115734.jpg

20201007_115711.jpg

Modern repop!, google images and you'll see a lot, but mostly boys!

These "reproduction" bikes were sold at Western Auto stores. That one, and the green men's model, aren't actually reproductions of a specific model, just a retro version of the '50s bikes.

Made by Columbia in about 1990. It used some of the RX-5 parts. It is not an exact reproduction of anything. There were men's and ladies versions made.

Back